Monday, April 14, 2008

Little Breaks

One of my son's favorite toys bit the dust the other day. The hand-me-down Hummer used to cruise the hall of our house frequently, sounding like a freight train with all of its battery-operated sounds and SUV wheels. Then came the day of racing, or pushing, that is. Oh, it was fun for Mikayla to push it as fast as the speed of sound with Tyler riding it but when the large load hit the edge of the carpet, the front axle was literally severed from its body. As much as we want to fix it, the trash can is looking like its newest home...oh well...Today I headed out to my friend, Kristy's, house to hang out with her and her 2 sons. I've known her since High School and we have many memories together but haven't spent much time together in recent years. We had so much fun and the kids got along really well. Of course, there was an object of their mutual interest, a poor butterfly that chose to live out its last moments in Kristy's backyard, unaware of the butterfly obsessed toddlers that awaited the chance to help it along to glory.

Mikayla: Look mommy! We found a butterfly!
me: where?
M: on the ground
me (to Kristy): oh no, I feel so sorry for that poor butterfly.

It was tossed from hand to hand, put to bed in the dirt, and then brought out for "recess" and it endured it all. Here is what it looked like when their interest finally waned and it was left to die in peace (nope, even after all of that, it still hadn't breathed its last). The poor thing... Here is Mikayla playing the Curious George games. It kept them interested for about 20 minutes. Hey, that's great for toddlers!
Another great thing happened tonight. I went out alone and shopped. Now, Will is usually really good about letting me get out and have some alone time but he was almost insistent on it tonight. I don't know if it was, in any way, related to the mommy-meltdown I had last night (picture changing a 2 year old's diaper with all 3 of your loving children using their voices to the best of their ability and then realizing...'I'm going to have to do this again tomorrow'). Let's just say a few tears rolled past the dark and baggy undereye circles and I had to take a time out.
I chose the place wisely. Golden Spoon. You know how, in High School, you wouldn't be caught dead doing anything alone because, to do so, would label you a complete and total nerd? Well, I must say, I haven't felt that way since I had kids since time alone is more precious than gold. To continue, I went and got my Peanut Butter Cup and Cake Batter NON-FAT yogurt (I've been trying to watch what I eat and I actually went back to the gym), went back to my car, parked in front of Target, turned on the radio and proceeded to eat the entire cup by myself, alone. And, you know what? It wasn't awkward at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alone-time is PRECIOUS! I am living a dream this week -- at a conference by myself in Charleston, SC. On the plane ride over here, I read 3 dumb magazines, an entire book, and watched a movie, all without any interruptions. Last night my book and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner together at an upscale restaurant, with dessert that I didn't have to share! And it was not awkward at all either, especially since I'm in a city where I don't know anybody! On the contrary, it was quite enjoyable!

Anonymous said...

ALL mommies need time outs-- Yea for Will insisting you get out. I had one of those days on Sat. and I went and got my Starbucks at sat outside and read a book -I got through 4 chapters without interuptions! A Miracle!!

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! Being along has whole new meaning once you become a mom!!!