Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Incentive Plan

It's a big thing, those 5 year old shots, and I was near the edge of panic when I thought of bringing Mikayla in to get them. The reaction to her flu shot was one I never want to repeat so I decided that the only way to get both of us to live through the ordeal was to give her incentive if she didn't kick my legs off in the office. At first I thought ice cream but then a new idea came to mind. Disneyland!! Thanks to my awesome brother-in-law, John, who started working at the Happiest Place on Earth a little while ago, we all got free entrances into the park. It was going to be a great day!

We arrived at the Dr.'s office and were called to the back to get it over with...then the nurse spoke. "She already had all of her shots, except her TB test. We'll just have to do that one." Disneyland for a TB test? That'll be a great reward for hardly anything, I thought. We proceeded to finish at the Dr's and drive to D-land, anyway.

From the moment we stepped out of our vehicle, we realized that everyone else in the United States had decided to experience the happiest place on earth the same day that we did. We literally fought our way on to the tram and, thanks to John, started our day of excitement. Here was our first stop, Snow White's wishing well.
From there, we went to Casey Jr.'s railroad. Tyler loved it! I think Lynnea did too. Daddy and Mikayla were in the cages in the back. She was probably singing along with the song since it is one of her favorites.Next, we went to the Storybook ride. Tyler talked about this "shark" for the rest of the trip so I had to include a photo of it. He loved riding through it.We went to Roger Rabbit's ride but it broke down as we were standing in line (that always seems to be the case with that ride) and we looked for other things for the kids to do. They loved Toon town and experimented with the weights while they were there. Lynnea's vantage point almost all day. She wouldn't sleep in her car seat, except for half an hour, and the rest of the trip decided that she didn't need to take a nap. There was too much to see. The only time she succumbed to sleep was at night while we visited the bug town. She actually slept through the night that night for once. Daddy took the kids on Autopia after we splurged on Mickey Mouse suckers. Tyler really enjoyed his... Here's Tyler behind the wheel...scary.For lunch, we picnicked by the closed-down Small World. We spent a good 45 minutes here while the kids played with the stroller up and down the ramps. Why did we go to Disneyland again??

Princess storytime. For those of you who know the meaning of Cara and my word of "haughty," this was it. Snow White did such a great job becoming Snow White that I caught myself believing that it really was her! She and her page told the story of Snow White and it was entertaining, even to all of us adults.The Page acting out Grumpy's personality while Snow White, in her super-sugary sweet voice, tells us the names of all of her dwarfs.Snow White seemed to be the theme of our trip. We encountered another one in California Adventure (she had a long shift that day...=) ) Needless to say, I wasn't ecstatic about having my picture taken with the ravishing beauty but I had the baby strapped to my chest and I wanted her in the picture. It was, after all, her first time meeting the princess. Toward the end of the day, we went to Autopia again, while I waited outside with the baby, and then we took some pictures of the kids with Mickey ears. Lynnea's were flashy..
Mikayla's were "princessy"and Tyler's didn't happen the way we'd like. He looked at the ears and decided, in no uncertain terms, that they were NOT going on his head. I held them up as he regarded me with disgust but, hey, I got the picture. We watched the fireworks and headed out pretty late to avoid the after-fireworks crowd. Both kids were so tired even though Mikayla kept telling us she "wasn't tired at all!!" A few minutes later...
but, alas, one of the crew decided it was morning time. This kid loves Disneyland!!
Eventually we got her to sleep and enjoyed our last treat of the night. As we were walking down Main Street, we encountered the single-most decadent food in all of Disneyland. We couldn't pass it up and bought it for the trip home. Look at this thing..


A huge rice krispy treat drenched in this exquisite milk/dark chocolate. The thing was literally 4" high and as dense as a brick. WOW!! We were exhausted but this thing made it all worthwhile. I think we might go back if only to indulge in another one. Oh, and we'll have to find a day that is less crowded, too. I'm surprised we still have all 3 of our original kids. I thought we might have accidentally grabbed the wrong one sometime during the day.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Princess story time is one of my favorite things! I really like Mikayla's "Princess Ears." Looks like you guys had a fun day. My daddy said to say that he likes your new "header," whatever that is. See you Sunday!

--Jenna

Anonymous said...

Nice camel back and radio Will. Just in case you might have to go into survival mode?

Anonymous said...

When you're at Disneyland with 2 very active kids and a baby, we were in SUVIVAL MODE all day!

William

Kristy said...

I almost jumped through my computer to get to that rice krispy treat. I'm tempted to go make myself one now. Thanks alot, Riva!!! :)

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

Wow!!! Disneyland for a shot... I better not show this post to Shelbi. She still thinks that suckers are the BEST prize she can get from being brave!

Looks like great fun, despite the crowds!