This first one is the house I grew up in. I've told some of you that I grew up "in a very rural community." Here it is, the mobile home that was my home until I was 9 years old. My sister and I loved growing up here. Sometimes I wish my kids could have so much area to play in and not have to worry about getting hit by a car or getting lost. I remember the days of playing "stagecoach" on the rock pile, running through the field and riding our bikes as fast as they would go down the gravel driveway (sorry about that mom. now that I'm a mom, I know how terrifying that must have been). It was a beautiful place to live, Washington, and it will forever be a place that brings me wonderful memories.
Here's me and Jenna, a friend of me and my sister's since 6th grade. This picture was taken at a summer camp where we were counselors for 4th - 6th graders. It was a challenge for me and I wanted to pack my bags and go home after the first night. Maybe the reason for that was the fake bugs that my girls put all over my pillow while I took one of them to the bathroom at 1 in the morning coupled with the fact that we slept in teepees where I got the honor of sleeping in the dead center, right underneath the night sky.) Oh, and let's not forget the girl that never wanted to comb her hair so when we did, it would have been easier just to shave it all off. Oh, happy times. By the end of the week, it was an experience I cherish yet would never do again.
Papa. One of my life's greatest treasures. His health is failing as I write this and we don't know how long God plans to keep him here with us but he is one of the pillars of faith in my life. Going to his house in the summer and for family reunions at Christmas was one of the highlights of each year and I love him so much.
Papa, Cara, me
I must also highlight my outfit in the picture with Papa. Just wanted to let you know that I MADE that shirt and shorts. My first and last outfit. I did pretty well if you like the boxy look. Give me a break, it was in then...wasn't it? Sometimes I look at old pictures and say, "what was I thinking?"
Me, Cara
These 2 pictures are of me with my best friend in all the world, my twin sister. The top one was for the yearbook, a picture for the tennis page. My sister and I competed as doubles and were #1 in our League and almost undefeated. Can't you just taste that loss still, Cara? OOh, that one loss was a tough one. Anyway, we've had so many wonderful memories together. The one below is from Universal Studios. She and I just decided to go there one day and this picture is uncanny in its similarities between us. Usually I don't think we look like twins but we do in this picture.
And, last but not least, a picture of the 4 of us before we were even engaged. I believe this was my "last date" with Will before I broke up with him and then decided I wanted him back in my life a scant few days later. Babe, I'm so sorry I did that to you. And how cute you are too!!
Hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Once in a while I'll post more photos of years gone by.

4 comments:
Yes, I remember that loss well, Riv. I believe I hammered a net shot directly into the net as that last losing point...*sigh* Thanks for the trip down memory lane. One thing...those BANGS in the picture with Papa.. and the style of our clothes! EEEk. Our kids will die laughing someday. Love you!
yup, I even remember your bangs- in fact when we visited you and went to disneyland you two were the radest girls I had ever met.
OH Riva thanks so much for the trip down memory lane! It was wonderful! I was so tan back then...and Rachels hair, I remember sitting there forcing her to sit and deal with me combing her hair and making her shower. Oh the memories.....can't wait to make more.
I love the 80's hair :)
What a blessing to have so many great memories from childhood. And, er, the 80s...
Post a Comment