Friday, April 25, 2008

Lesson Learned

I decided today would be the perfect day for an outing to the park. Of course, I first had to swing by McDonalds for their new hazelnut iced coffee (I would highly recommend it) and then we were off to the park. I have no pictures of what happened while we were there but the story is good enough without pictures.

I should provide some background. The last time we went to this particular park, we were with some friends, the Nelsons (if you recall the "fear of the birds" picture). While we were walking back to our cars, we encountered one of the largest ant nests ever seen in a public setting...ok, not that large but it makes for a good story. These ants were quite big and their eggs resembled grains of rice. I know, I'm providing too much information. Back to the story at hand. Tyler realized that we were going back to that same park today and kept repeating the phrase, "go see eggs, mommy, see eggs." (picture this same phrase x20...then you can really be "in the moment"). Anyway, he was so excited to see the anthill again so we ventured along the path until we came to the pile of dirt. Here is the conversation that followed...

M: mommy, there isn't anything there. They're gone!
(mommy stupidly rubs her foot over the mound and here they all come!!)
M: do that again mommy!
me: no, I don't want the ants to crawl up my leg and bite me. that's good for now
M: I need to find a stick mommy!
me: don't poke them too much, they may come up the stick and bite you. they're not happy.
M: (running around to find a stick) but I want to find a stick, mommy!
tyler: eggs, mommy, eggs, look at the eggs, mommy. there are the eggs, mommy!! (just have this phrase running through your head while you read the rest)
M: here's a stick!
me: just be careful. don't let it sit in the anthill for too long or they'll crawl up.
M: (poke, poke) I want to see more eggs!
...a few minutes go by and I'm done seeing the swarm of ants that have been brought forth by my offspring.
....
M: (screaming) owwwww, owwwww.aaaaaaahhhh
me: did it bite you? let go of the stick! brush it off!! (as she stands paralyzed with fear)
tyler: eggs, mommy. look at the ants and the eggs, mommy!! (I hope you're still hearing this in your head)
M: (crying) it bit me mommy!
me: did it really bite you?
M: yes!
me: ok, we're done with the angry ants. Let's go play on the playground.
M: (grabbing my legs) ouch, mommy!! I don't ever want to play with ants again.
tyler: (crying) NO, I want to see the eggs, mommy! WAHH, more eggs, mommy...

Yes, the ant really did bite Mikayla. There was a perfect circle of white on her knuckle surrounded by red. The sting wore off after a few minutes but I think she's learned her lesson.

Don't mess with an insect's house or you will pay...

2 comments:

Murray said...

That totally happened to me when I was a kid. I played in an ant pile at the bus stop. I boarded the bus and saw an ant crawling on the floor only to soon realize the ants were also crawling all over me. I recall the bus driver getting a little angry. Luckily, I don't remember getting bit. I bet that hurt. Poor Mikayla. If only her mommy would protect her better. ;)
Love you Riva! You have the patience of a saint!

Cara said...

Ok I'm itching that's so gross. Honestly, EVERYWHERE itches. The eggs thing...nasty. Ethan would be running away from them and Austin would be grabbing the ants and/or eggs and HOPEFULLY not putting them in his mouth (which he does with everything still). Just nasty, Riv.