Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Full Saturday

Actually, this first event happened on Friday. My cousin Cheryl wanted to take Mikayla with her to the school she goes to and I had to supply her with the carseat so I opened the garage door. Suddenly, Mikayla pointed UP and said, "lizard, mommy!" This is what I saw when I looked up... What are the odds? One in a million? The poor thing had gotten himself caught in the garage door when it opened. I found another one in my house the day before. I think we're living on a nest of lizards.
This last Saturday was one of 2 days out of the year that we visit the gravesite of Will's dad's parents to pay our respects. In a typical Buddhist fashion, his parents present the ancestors with incense and flowers and then bow before them several times in respect. After they bow, each son and his family, from oldest to youngest, stand before the grave and pay their respects as well. Will and I usually gather our family and pray for the Salvation of Will's family. I have come to appreciate this tradition and love the lesson of "respecting the elders" that my kids learn from this experience.
Here are 2 of my nieces, Tamara and Carissa. They were just little kids when Will and I first met. Afterward, we went to dim sum with 2 of Will's brothers and their families. Mikayla and Mae-Mae playing together.
Later that day, my husband and some friends took up a game of frisbee golf and the wives joined in the festivities at the park.

After dinner, we went to feed the ducks the rest of the Wendy's chicken sandwiches that my son didn't finish. The ducks were excited but we tried to stay away from the Goliath geese that smelled the food across the pond. Geese tend to be a little bit more agressive when it comes to bread crumbs.
It was the perfect picture-taking opportunity for us and Josh and Emily. I had to include the next few pictures just because it shows Emily's true attitude toward ducks or birds of any kind. This first picture is the "let's get Anna's attention" shot.
Then the duck appeared...out of nowhere. As it flew over, this was the reaction it brought forth...
Sorry, Emily, I just had to post it.
After, Will and I went to my parent's house to see a friend of the family I haven't seen in over 13 years. Sam used to visit us all the time when we were little and it was so wonderful to see his face again. Thanks, Sam, for letting us invade your last night of peace here in Southern California.

2 comments:

Emily said...

what can I say.................... THE THINGS SCARE ME!:(
I have suffered previous bird tramas, so bear with me :)

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

What fun, Riva! We have got to get together soon... before our kids go to college.