Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I feel like I'm back in High School!

This last Sunday my friend, Kim, and her husband, Caleb, invited us to one of their "game nights" at his Karate studio (lots of space for kids to run around). She told us a few couples would be attending and I went expecting to have to meet some new people and watch my kids...a very exhausting reality. When we arrived, I immediately recognized someone I went to High School with. I have to give you some background before I continue..

I have to go back to how I "met" Kim. I had gone to Junior High with her. It all happened one lazy night when Will and I didn't want to cook dinner and we made a run to our local Mcdonalds. I happened to glance around the room and saw Kim, after 10+ years of not seeing her, and was surprised to see her with 2 kids, a dedicated Christian and living so close to where we lived! We instantly reconnected and started getting our families together to get to know each other again.

So, on to the game night. One of their best friends went to High School too and I guessed that he would be one of the couples but, when the second couple walked through the door, I was pleasantly surprised. In walked Monique, a fellow graduate of 1994. I guess Kim had run into her at a local grocery store and they had hung out a few times. What a small world. Needless to say, there were a few moments that I felt I was back in High School with all my insecurities but it was a great time getting to know them again. We had so much fun!Monique holding Lynnea. We feasted on pizza, cupcakes and strawberries and whip cream (thanks Kim and Caleb)!! The kids only spent about 5.2 seconds eating their pizza and then went into this large, padded, room to do some running around. We were actually able to play one game that night, "Catch-phrase" and the girls lost to the guys. Luck, I tell you, Luck!!The kids also liked playing the Wii Sport that Caleb brought out. Things came out of my mouth that I never expected to say to my kids...see "Overheard" column. All in all, it was a great game night.

No comments: