Sunday, July 13, 2008

All In A Day's Work

It was hot today. Very hot. So hot we decided to go outside...wait...wouldn't that mean we decided to stay inside? Oh, yeah, we've had a project to do for so long that we used today to chip away a little bit more of it. Go ahead and say it. We're crazy.
"The Project" is the backyard. As you can tell from the patchy grass underneath the children in the first photo, our backyard hasn't been a priority in the last few years as much as I would like. I believe Will promised to have our sitting area (the corner) done before Tyler was born. As you can see from this photo, Tyler is now almost 3 and we have another one...needless to say, the promise wasn't exactly kept. I won't blame my wonderful hubby for his lack of completion but I will say that, for both of us, it's the sheer amount of work that needs to get done that causes us to drag our feet. That, and the fact that, with so little time off, who wants to work in the backyard when I have my husband home only a few hours each day and weekends. All of you moms out there will agree with me. Who wants their hubby working on their off days? Would we ever get a break if that happened? They're lucky if we let them go mow the lawn. So we did it, we went outside. The kids played King and Queen and I guess Lynnea was their subject.
Here's my hubby, laboring hard over the stairs....get those bricks mortared in baby! Tyler's cheesy pose. The only way he will pose for me is if I tell him that he can see it after I take it.
And here's Mikayla's shot. She actually told me, "what about this mommy.. (pose)." My little model. Ready to be a princess at Disneyland.
Here are the finished steps. They look good, huh? There is just so much work to do that it feels overwhelming. One of these days, we'll be able to present the "finished" backyard. I hope that comes sooner rather than later.
And here's a close-up.
Don't you just love that dead grass. We started watering it again, I promise!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always good to see a Christian man working with bricks... sets a good example for the children... Don't get hurt out there though... might make you a Christian Mortar-er if you did.

(Aside: I had the makings of that joke in my head and I'm sure that would probably SOUND better than it reads...)

~Ben

Robin said...

I say, "AMEN SISTER". Who wants to work on "projects" when you can be together as a family? It is such a hard balance!!!! Now, if the home improvement is already inprogress.....I'm a get it done at all costs person, (the quicker the better) then the regular regime can continue. I usually drag my feet when a project has to be started......I know that it will be all consuming : )

The foundation has been laid.....it will be a marvelous retreat for you all!!!!

Mama Shoe said...

And he landscapes too? Wow, Will is a man with many hidden talents.

Jenna said...

Looks like you guys are making good progress - keep it up!

I enjoyed having your "royal court" over on Friday - thanks for coming!!