Friday, November 9, 2007

Ah, the joys? of toys

I wonder how much it costs to send every family in the neighborhood the "biggest toy book ever" from Toys R Us? I guess they know that they'll make up their money when all the parents get suckered into buying the greatest toys for their kids for Christmas. When ours arrived in the mail, just for fun, I channeled Mikayla's excitement in seeing the book by having her circle all of the things she liked. Of course she circled all of the expensive items like computers and doll sets but there is one thing she has asked for since the first time she saw them on tv...

Aquadots!! Now for those of you who don't follow the news closely, you are unaware that they recently recalled every single package ever sold of Aquadots due to the coating on each ball being toxic. When swallowed, the coating acts like the date rape drug, GHB and has seriously injured some kids who have played with them. I listened, in horror, to this newscast the other night and wondered how I would tell my 4 1/2 year old that the one thing she wants for Christmas, she can't have. It makes it even worse when she circled and tried to cut out the picture of them in the World's Biggest Toy Book Ever. Some tears were shed but I think we'll make it through in one piece. I also promised her that when it didn't hurt kids any more, I'd make sure to buy her the new, improved version. That seemed to pacify her for the time being. I'll probably have to re-explain it again tomorrow and the next day. That's just the way a 4 year old mind works. So here's the revered photo of the Christmas present that will never be...
Snacktime and movie after naptime. Relaxation for mommy. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw that story! I can't believe they somehow missed that hugely important fact. I heard they almost lost a little boy. It's so scary.
Christie