Sunday, August 10, 2008

Zoo-a-rrific

Let me premise this entry by saying that ANY time I spend with my friends is one of the greatest things I could ask for, no matter where we go.

On that note, if anyone has watched the movie, "jurassic park" they'll know the line, "now, there are dinosaurs on this dinosaur tour, aren't there?" This is kind of how all of us felt when we made a trek down to the local zoo for the day. The kids had a blast just being with each other but I think the most amount of animals we saw was during the "educational" show that included a hedgehog, snake, and spider. Now if you know me at all, you'll know that I do not care for monkeys. Never have, never will. I must say that that especially pertains to Chimpanzees. There is nothing "cute" about them and whenever I hear those evolutionists say that humans came from that, I'm deeply offended. So when the only animals at the zoo the other day were monkeys, it was quite disappointing. Trying to get over my disgust, I tried to find the cutest monkey (if there is such a thing) and I found this one. Unfortunately, the darn thing moved so much that this was the best picture I could get. And that's ok with me because, as I stated in the first sentence, they wouldn't be on my list of "must-have's" in the animal kingdom. I really don't need a picture of one with which to reminisce.
But here's some cute creatures at the zoo. This was during the oh-so-entertaining educational segment of the zoo. The lady really knew what she was talking about. She just didn't have an excited tone in her voice that would keep the little ones entertained. Oh, and I'm probably not the only one that was convinced that that poor barn owl wanted to be anywhere but with 50 children staring at it and it's "270 degree turning head."
Here's where Lynnea was the whole day. She was actually quite content in the stroller. Good thing because I wasn't about wrap her around me in a sweaty Bjorn. Although, now that I think about it, I could have sweat off a few pounds...hmmm...
At the end of our day we came to the farmyard area. All of the remaining children had to take part in the interactive "wash your hands" station. I think they would have been entertained the whole day here if this was the main attraction. Even Rebekah got in on the action..."llave sus manos, Rebekah!"
Here are our children, as hatchlings.
Oh, and I found out one tidbit of information about Lynnea. She weighs 17 pounds. I hesitate to tell you how I discovered that...ok, I'll admit it. I weighed her on the flat, livestock scale in the farmyard. They may not clean it every day but I made sure she didn't sit on it for too long...
Mikayla was excited and couldn't wait to see how much I weighed. I don't have to tell you that I didn't participate in that fun activity. I didn't make it seem negative but I am struggling with my post-baby weight lately. I'll be off to the gym tomorrow!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I had no idea you had such an aversion to monkeys. :) What are your feelings on Curious George? ;)

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.