Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Forgiveness...

Forgiveness is a tough concept. I'm struggling with it as I write this blog. I'm sure my parents will struggle with it in the coming weeks. You see, this week they were burglarized while they were up North helping my Nana pack her things to move. I'm angry, I'll admit it. I can't believe people can be so cruel. Stealing someone's priceless possessions just to get a high or to get a few dollars off of whatever they take when they sell it soon after. How do you forgive something like that? My mom can't replace some of the pieces of jewelry she so gently stored in the jewelry armoire that dad lovingly made for her. She'll have memories, but nothing to physically touch, to hold, to admire. It breaks my heart.

I know that, here on earth, we aren't to store up earthly pleasures that will eventually all go to dust. But some part of me doesn't know how we, as humans, would be able to live life without "keepsakes" that conjure up memories that we hold dear. Whether that be a postcard or a piece of jewelry, no matter how much it's worth, when it's taken from us it tears at us in the heart.

As my mom tries to overcome the feelings of violation, she also has to grieve the loss of precious keepsakes. What heartache. My heart aches for her. I guess I forgive the man or men who did it...in fact, I pity them. I know where my heart and soul are rooted, "where (no) thieves break in and steal." Now all I can do is comfort my mom, and try to rebuild her jewelry box of memories.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Riva,
I remember when your parents were burglarized years ago. My Mom shared a necklace with your mom to try to "rebuild" as you put it, but you really can't replace those things that mean so much. It just made me sad and I immediately remembered back. So sorry -
Christy (Sweeney) Lutterloh

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I'm so sorry, Riva.