Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Kindergarten-already??!??!!

Today was a big day. A day I thought would never come, not because I didn't want it to come but because I never thought my little girl would be old enough to go to school. And here it is, the first day of Kindergarten.

She was awake before all of us, at about 6:45. We all started getting ready for the day and then, at around 8 we started out on the walk to school. Will took the morning off to walk with us to school and we joined all of the other parents with kindergartner's at the school gate. Of course we had to have an inside shot of her excitement and an outside shot with her lunch bag.
Tyler really doesn't know what is happening at this point in the picture. All he knows is that his best friend left him for a few hours and now all he has is mommy to play with. I hope that satisfies him during the mornings for the next 3 years.
Once all of the kids started lining up in front of the classroom and we said our goodbyes, Mikayla wiped away a few tears. She tried to hide them but she was really nervous. To be honest, I was probably more nervous/scared than she was. I have to remember that my beautiful little girl is also an incredible friend and will have no problem finding lasting friendships with these little 5 year olds.
After school, all 3 1/2 hours worth, Tyler, Lynnea and I went to pick her up. They lined up out of their classroom, walked to the gate and then their teachers asked them, one by one, if anyone was here to pick them up.
Here's Mikayla waiting her turn in line. My heart bursts with pride that she made it through her first day of Kindergarten and was so brave. I did shed a few tears as I dropped her off, knowing that her need for me in her life was going to diminish somewhat. She is going to have a new hero in addition to Will and me, her teacher.
It was funny when I went to pick her up at the end of the school day. To the average person looking at all of the parents, videocameras and waving, you'd think that there were some major celebrities behind that fence. In my opinion, they all were.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog was so sweet! I am so glad Mikayla had a good first day. Kindergarten is so much fun! I know she will do great!
:) Christie

heidi said...

that was such a great recap of Mikayla's first day! You did good, Mommy! And yes, I agree with you... they are superstars! I know the feeling you had... the one where you realized that as she enters school her need for you would dimish a bit. Just remember... once she has kids of her own she's going to need you A LOT!!! :)

Anonymous said...

HOW FUN! She's getting so big... *sniffle* why must her and Madeleine grow up so fast?

Mama Griffith, said...

wow, great post..*sniff*

Jenna said...

Yay, Mikayla! Good job!!

I can't wait for Kindergarten - it sounds so fun. Just one more year of pre-school to go for me ;-)

Unknown said...

Wooohoo!!! Mikayla did it and so did you!!! Love you.

Amanda said...

awww! she looks so cute and grown up. The 1st day was the hardest for me- now I cant wait till Monday :-) its been fun just having Ethan all to myself (of course that will change REAL soon) Tell Mikayla we are so happy for her- maybe we will give you guys a call this weekend and the girls to talk about their "school days"

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's my postpartum hormones, but this post made me really teary-eyed. Mikayla is such a sweet girl.

Unknown said...

It's so fun reading your blog; you write so well. You left your oldest at kindergarten - I'm at the other end;I just left my oldest at college- in Texas. I didn't just tear, I sobbed! oh well
Christy L.

Riva said...

Aww, thanks Christy! I can't imagine that day when I drop her off at college. I will be a basketcase!! I never knew that being a parent would be so emotional.