Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It pays...

This morning was a hectic one. Lynnea had a Dr's appointment at 9:30 this morning which meant that Will had to take Mikayla to school at 10:00. I got out of the house in plenty of time, had a great Dr's visit (if you don't count the shots) and headed to Michael's to do a little window shopping since it was next door to the Dr's (and I had a coupon).

Shopping at Michaels with Tyler was, in a word...hmmm...I can't seem to come up with one. Let's just say it tested my patience. I've discovered that, sometime in the last few weeks, Tyler has decided that he doesn't need to obey me the first time I say something. He also likes to test boundaries. With this deadly combination, you can understand why I had to use disciplinary force as we walked through the tempting bead, paper, and basket aisles. He doesn't have much patience for the craft stores and, after I hurriedly tried to glance at all of the bargains, we headed to the checkout counter. With Lynnea standing in her stroller (I had to hold her halfway through so I hadn't had a chance to rebuckle her), Tyler laying on the floor (I had to just let it go at that point) and me trying to get all of the items from random places in my stroller, I got through checkout and headed to the car. As I was folding the stroller, I realized that I had forgotten one tiny item, a $1 ribbon from the ribbon bin.

Moral dilemma: Do I get the kids out and go pay for the ribbon or figure it was only worth $1 so it's ok if I "forget" it this time? Of course, I got the kids out and headed back into the store (you all know I was already feeling guilty for even exiting the store with the item in question.)

I walked up to a different checkout stand and pulled out my wallet. The girl rung up the ribbon and then took a second look at the register.
"That will be one cent, please."
"You're kidding!" I said.
"No, it says one cent."
So that's what I paid, including tax!

God has such a great sense of humor. It pays to be honest.

4 comments:

Emily said...

This is the part when you go to the sale bin and bring back all the ribbons for her to scan and see if they are 1 cent too! What a bargain!

Unknown said...

Wow. way to be Riva, way to be. Love you it was wonderful hearing your voice and chatting yesterday with you. Miss you.

Janette said...

I laughed out loud when I read that your $1 ribbon was only one cent! God DOES have a sense of humor...
What a deal though, did you get more?? I feel like going to Michaels now to see if I can get a one cent ribbon. =)

Thanks for sharing.

Janette

Riva said...

I didn't go back and get any more ribbon. At that point, my shopping excursion was done. I can honestly say I didn't even have the urge to go back and look. Proof that the shopping trip was over...I wonder, though...