Back to school night was tonight. Thanks to my parents, Will and I were able to visit Mikayla's kindergarten classroom after a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood without the children. I can't tell you how nice it is to know my 5 year old is only a 5 minute walk away.
I've got to be honest with you; as we were sitting in that classroom, Will and I were thinking that it would be pretty nice to be back in school, painting, reading, going to computer class, and hanging out with friends. In a way, I felt like I was back in school. We all sat quietly listening to the teacher and received Scholastic Book Order forms which immediately brought me back to my own elementary school days. Will even raised his hand in class to ask a question (brown noser).
Mikayla's teacher, Mrs. Heimlich, is awesome and loves the kids so much. She is such an answer to prayer! Most of the parents seem to want to be pretty involved. I'm struggling with wanting to help the teacher by being in the class to experience what it's like and, at the same time, try to spend time with my other 2 kids. I settled by volunteering for computer time (1/2 hour) since I can probably bring the 2 youngest and help the teacher out with the other students for that short amount of time.
On another note, Mikayla has a new little friend...a boy named Brady. He seems so sweet and I'm so glad he's a good kid. His mom is pretty cool too. I'm just not too sure about the whole Kindergarten crush thing. My mom said Cara and I had a new "husband" every day in kindergarten but I don't think I'm ready for that whole social arena. I was telling my sister that it's almost like I'm reliving it, in a different way. I find myself wanting to find the "good" kids and introduce Mikayla to them. I know she's an amazing little girl with a sensitive heart. I just want her to stay that way and not find herself with the wrong crowd. So far she's chosen wisely.
So that was our night tonight. It's overwhelming, to say the least. There are so many dates, responsibilities, deadlines, and time committments. I think I'm ready...then again, I think I might need to think about that some more.
1 comment:
I could totally relate to your post, Riva. Maggie is only in Preschool, so most of the social aspects don't apply, but I am totally preparing for all of that next year when Shelbi enters Kindergarten. I will be looking to you for lots of advice!
p.s. it's been way too long since I've commented on your blog! I check it all the time, but this time wanted you to know I am thinking of you! Write soon, ok?
Post a Comment