Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hope...

This weekend my mom, my sister and I traveled North to visit some of my relatives. Our goal of the weekend was to surprise my cousin and attend her baby shower. She is due in 7 weeks with her first baby, a little boy, and has been so strong as she goes through her chemotherapy treatments and continues working as a nurse. She is an inspiration to me. It was also fun to see her incredible husband, Bill, her sister Janelle, and her parents. We stayed up late and talked (much to the chagrin of our mothers) but it was good to catch up and just focus on the celebration of her baby to come.

We drove from there to my Papa and Nana's house where we stayed the next few days. My Papa is now in a care facility where he is struggling daily with dementia and Parkinsons. We went and visited him on Wednesday where he got to meet his great-granddaughter for the first time. For a few fleeting moments, he was as I remember him, talking to the baby and gently holding her in his arms. It was so moving to see the break in the dementia if only for those few moments. Seeing him in such a fragile state, fearing everything around him, his mind jumping from idea to idea, was one of the hardest things to see. I can only pray for God's perfect timing for my Papa. Also strength for my Nana as she continues to care for him every day yet has to leave him in the hands of others at night after 60 years of marriage.

After taking pictures of my Papa and Nana's house for probably the last time, we visited my Uncle Bill. He is such a man of integrity, humor, and strength. He got to hold Lynnea, who thought he was pretty cool too, and then we headed to the airport to leave for home. Coming here holds so many memories but it's the people here who hold my heart in their hands. I love my family. This last year has been so difficult but I am encouraged by God's promise of protection and strength. Our hope is in Him...praise God!



"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade - kept in heaven for you..." 1 Peter 1:3-4

2 comments:

heidi said...

It looks like you made the most of your visit and shared lots of love with your family. What a blessing Lynnea was to your grandfather and to all of you that were able to see him as he used to be. I am praying for you and your family. You are a special family and I am so glad I know you and Cara!

Janette said...

Riva,

Thanks for sharing your special "family" moments. I loved reading about them. Looks like you and Cara had a blast together!
BTW-LOVE your new haircut....I'm contemplating the same hairdo, once I get some courage. You know I have had long hair forever!!!