Monday, September 17, 2007

What a Mess!

We're remodeling the house to make ready the arrival of the newest Lee in a few months and it has caused some mess to happen in an already toddler-messy world. I try to keep up with it all but lately it's just been overwhelming, especially since there's only so much I can do with such a pregnant belly.

One of those messy moments this past week came after a trip to the grocery store. Now, I must tell you that I rarely venture out with both children into any store with a shopping time of over 1/2 an hour because I end up going insane while they hit each other and purposefully annoy each other the entire time. This especially happens in those oversized "car" carts that will allow YOU and you only to walk down the grocery aisle, much to the frustration of all other shoppers. I must also add that turning the monstrosity, while pregnant especially, is a show in itself and usually takes a good 5 minutes to avoid knocking over the displays that your children haven't already touched. I had promised the kids that if they were relatively good I'd get them a fruit roll (Cara, does that ring a bell of when we were growing up?) Anyway, they were pretty good so I bought two and let them have them in the car. I showed Tyler how to eat it and even started it for him (thinking a 2 year old can eat a fruit roll the right way) and this is the scene I came upon when I opened the door in the garage for him to get out. With him, I just have to deal with the messes. This is normal...
What you can't see is the fruit roll all over his shirt, seatbelt and face. The picture doesn't do it justice.

On to my first child. While remodeling the room, my creative children came across a roll of happy face tape that hadn't been used for anything so I let them have at it and use all they wanted. This is the way Mikayla "used" it. I must admit, it did satisfy the constant chatter for a fleeting moment. She actually peeled it off of herself and tried to tape Tyler's mouth closed with it but he was not too excited about that little experiment.

Here's a shot of the room before I started priming the walls. I told myself that I would take one before I took the pictures off the walls and moved the furniture but this is in the middle of moving it all out.
Here is Mikayla's room after the priming was done. It will soon become Tyler's room and the back, bigger room will be where the girls hide out.

Because we need the whole back room for another bed and dresser, the computer had to be relocated to the dining room. At first, I was wary of having yet another piece of furniture in the living room/dining room area but it doesn't look bad. Not to mention there's no other way of doing it so it either looks bad and stays or looks good and stays. I'd rather be an optimist. =)


So there you have the messes of my week. I'm glad it didn't spill over into MOPS. I'm doing hospitality and being a table discussion leader this year and there's so much to remember that I'm surprised I haven't forgotten something already. Tomorrow is the first day so I'm looking forward to starting off a great year, nice and clean...

No comments: