Tuesday, September 11, 2007

One of Those Moments

Do you ever have one of those moments where you are reminded by someone that you may have gone a little lax in your "safety skills" with your children. And even when you're 'reminded' about it, you still feel that if the person herself had children, she'd understand.

It all started with a trip to Joann's Fabrics. I just needed a little "me" shopping. I'm sure you understand. Of course, neither of the children want to stay in the cart and the carts are for little people anyway (they're 1/3 the size of a grocery cart) so I let them both get down with the threat that if they run around, they're back in, with each other. Things were going well until I couldn't make up my mind about a fabric and the boredom set in. Somehow, Tyler found a giant paper clip on the ground and thought that was about the best toy in the world. He set about trying to find different uses for it including his ear and on his finger. I knew it would do no harm since there was no way it was small enough to enter an orifice and stay there so I proceeded to the cutting table with my fabric. A mid-aged lady came up right behind me and silently watched what happened next. Since Tyler had already exhausted the other holes in his face, the next one to try was the nose. Mind you, the paper clip was so big that it was only put in a tiny fraction of the way and I heard this comment coming from behind me..."GASP, that's DANgerous!!!" I must admit, honestly, I saw him put it a little up his nose but it wasn't that heartstopping for me since he still had his hand on it and he wasn't doing his usual jump up and down while I jam this in my face routine. I immediately took the paper clip away and feigned that I was horrified at what he was doing but I had already witnessed it at least 3 times.

For all you moms out there, can you sympathize with me that after she said that, I felt like the mother who lets their kids run wild in the streets and has no thought for their safety. Later, I met up with her again in the check out line. My kids were being kids and playing with a bead on the floor but, somehow, I couldn't help but feel like I wasn't watching them well enough and they should each have halos over their head and stand like statues. It's one of those moments that you have to tell yourself you're doing a good job even if others think you're not.

My thoughts for today.

2 comments:

Mick said...

Riva,

Hilarious. I can just see your sweet munchins being creative at Joann's. While safety is always a good thing, it seems this woman was being a bit CONTROLLING. Or, she was just trying to be helpful.

Whatever, I know you're a great mom - the best. Your kids ooze your love - keep it up, sweetie. I love you :-)

__Dad__

Anonymous said...

You're doing a great job, Riv. Don't ever let anyone make you feel like you're not a good mom. I was afraid that it would be much worse than it was, so I was relieved he wasn't actually hurt by the metal wire up his nose. I love how you said you acted horrified as if you didn't already see him doing that before. I find that I say to myself more times than I should, "Whew, close call." Or, "yikes, that could have been bad," even though I maybe could have stopped it sooner than I did. I guess it's a reminder for us all to always be extra careful, but sometimes you just have to focus on the fabric. :)

Love ya, Sus