Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We did it!

Remember that post that I told you I was going to get out and garden...I was gonna rip those nasty weeds out of my backyard? Remember that I hoped my parents would join me? Well, it happened...and they did. God bless my parents. I don't think I would have tackled the job on my own but it's finished! I was even able to pick out new plants without getting cold feet (it's hard taking care of a garden with 3 kids and a busy schedule!). I definitely don't want to get in over my head with overplanting but I chose some azalea bushes, a new rose bush and some sweet alyssum to make my backyard garden look pretty again and Will promised to stucco the wall in the coming weeks. I'll add the bricks to the top and it should be finished at last. You can see all of my new plants lined up on the wall and I can't wait to plant them.

I did splurge a little at the flower store. I saw this gorgeous Calla Lily and just had to have it. It had red in it and was so bright! I just love it!
Some sweet alyssum to fill in the "dead" space.
And my hubby's favorite, what my mom calls, "freeway daisies." You can imagine where she got the name. California tends to plant them by freeways because they're easy to take care of and get really big, really quick. But they're also beautiful and she promised that, from here on out, she'll call them by their real name "african daisies" to make Will feel better about one of his favorite flowers. These are for the front yard which I haven't really gotten to yet.
I'm feeling really good about our progress. So this year I've already cleaned out the kid's rooms, "reupholstered" (ok, re-covered) my couch cushions and weeded my backyard! My New Year's resolutions are actually coming true! Now, if I could lose those last 10 pounds, this year would be starting out perfectly!

2 comments:

heidi said...

wow, you weren't kidding when you said you and your mom "pulled some weeds!" Amazing! It looks great... and just in time for Spring!

Mama Griffith, said...

wow,...no really WOW! It looks awesome, not to mention all the beautiful things you can grow without them drowning in rain. Im glad you did a before and after too.