Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Baby is 8!

I can't believe it. When I think about the past 8 years, it seems so long...yet when I look at my beautiful Mikayla it seems like 8 years went by in the blink of an eye. How could she be 8 already?
I remember rocking her to sleep because she would cry if I didn't.
I remember her long eyelashes, her ruby red lips, and her ringlets of curls.
I remember that if I walked out of the room, she would cry for me to stay.
I remember rushing her to the hospital after a particularly bad flu, trying to hide my fear.
I remember her excitement when Tyler was born.
I remember her first day of Kindergarten when she turned away from me to hide her tears.
I remember the first friend she made in school and how her eyes lit up when they played together.
I remember her first heartbreak, her first lost tooth.
Her first crush, her first "job well done"
I remember her first talent show (and I still can't get the song out of my head)
I remember the gentleness with which she first held Lynnea.

In remembering all this, I am grateful. I can't wait to make even more memories.
I love so much about her.
I love ... her crooked smile
... her unconditional love
.... her compassion
.... her sense of humor
...her laugh
....how she wants to still hold my hand
....how she hates when I leave her
....her desire to learn
...her devotion to share God with others
....her zest for life
I don't remember as much as I should of Mikayla's baby years but I do remember wondering how something so wonderful could come from me. How could this little life be entrusted to me? I was so imperfect, so NOT ready to be a mom. I struggled for the first few months to accept the responsibility placed before me. But now I'm proud. Proud of who she has become, in spite of me. Proud that God is first in her life and that she is unashamed of her Savior. I'm also humbled. I'm humbled that God chose me for her. I couldn't be more grateful for His gift.


To celebrate her birthday, I took her and 2 of her friends to Color Me Mine. Here are some photos of our afternoon.

Glittery pink cupcakes for my princess...

Decisions, decisions....
Finally decided on a unicorn...
My little artist painting away...
Her friend, Katie, painting her puppy.
And her other friend, Mikaela, gave her duckling a stylish 'do.
My beautiful 8 year old.
All 3 girls with their finished pieces.
Happy Birthday, Mikayla!

1 comment:

Mama Shoe said...

What a pretty little lady Mikayla is turning out to be!! And I love that she is unashamed of her Savior and that God is first in her life, that's all that matters, can't ask for anything more. Happy (belated) birthday Mikayla!!