Thursday, December 25, 2008

What a Gift

We had our own little Christmas this morning after we ate some cinnamon rolls from a can and put on the traditional yule-log-on-the-tv. Yes, we could have burned actual fire in our fireplace but there are way too many flammable toys on the hearth. The kids loved all of their toys. Thanks, Uncle Dannie, and Robert and Doug and families for all of the fun gifts. Dannie, as you can see, Lynnea loved her Winnie-the-Pooh. It's similar to her "teddy" which she loves very much. I have a feeling it will be "real" pretty soon (you'll get what I mean if you've read the Velveteen Rabbit). We gave Tyler some Legos and an ornament. One of his favorites was a $2 plastic dinosaur since all he asked for for Christmas was a "bat." Since I couldn't find any, I settled on something with wings that looked ugly-and he loved it! Ah, the simple things in life. Mikayla had wanted a Pocahontas doll from the Disney store. This gift proved to be quite an adventure to acquire. One day while shopping with my mom, I thought I'd hop in to the Disney store, pick up a $5 Disney Barbie of Pocahontas and be done with it. Somehow, in good old Southern California, Pocahontas must be a pretty popular princess because the only dolls they had on the shelves were the blondes and a few Snow Whites, who Mikayla doesn't care for that much. I actually had the Disney lady call the nearest store to see if Pocahontas still graced their shelves which is something I don't often go to the trouble of doing. By the way, the Disney employee really exuded Disney spirit in the extreme of even almost sounding like Snow White. She discovered the coveted toy at another mall about 20 minutes away but also stated that the Pocahontas they found was having a bad hair day. I decided to take my chances that it was "fixable" and drove to get it. Let's just say Pocahontas looked like she'd been experimenting with an electrical outlet. The cashier said it was definitely tameable with the brush so I forked over the $5 for the unlovable doll, got it home, opened it, smoothed out her hair, wrapped it, and, on Christmas day, got the reaction I'd been hoping for...sheer joy! Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and experienced the joy only Christ can give!

No comments: