Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Pat on the Back?

So I had a wonderful outing this morning with 2 very dear friends, Mina and Jenn. We went to the bookstore for storytime, picked out 2 new books to read, went to lunch at Panda Express and had a great time. I pack up the kids and we all head out, get in the car and the usual dialogue begins. There are conversations about lots of things (usually duplicated since Tyler's in the "mime" stage and has to repeat every word anyone says) and then came the interesting exchange.

Mikayla: Mommy, I don't know what I want to do when I grow up.
Mommy: You don't have to choose right now.
Mik: I want to do what you do...nothing.

As if that wasn't enough she started saying what I wasn't. "You're not a policeman, you're not a doctor, you're not a...

In short, "nothing" is her definition of what a "a stay-at-home mom" does. I'll forgive her today because I knew she was just saying it in her own way. I choose to look at it this way: I am with her always, there for her always and have no other job than to be her best friend and mommy. Wow, I'm blessed!...to do nothing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha... That's one to keep for when SHE has kids.

~B.

Dave and Kelli said...

AMEN to nothing!! And to think, you don't even need a college degree to do nothing [yet we all seem to have one ;) ]. My 5 year old asked me today if, when I was a little girl, I always wanted to be a mommy AND to work - I said, "Well, I just wanted to be a mommy and that IS my work". She was confused by that concept. Interesting how even the little ones are picking up on how rare that concept has become in our society. All I know is, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Kelli

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. I find it amazing how tired I am at the end of the day for doing "nothing" at my house.

What a fun blog. Your kids are absolutely adorable!! I'll have to come take a peek more often.:)

Kristy said...

My greatest secret fear, confirmed by a five-year-old. I really DO do nothing!!!

Man, it takes a lot of patience to do nothing sometimes....