Thursday, February 7, 2008

Uh-oh...I think I've Started Something

I think I'm addicted to sewing. Seriously... My mom always tried to get us interested in making clothes and things when we were little but I put it off for some reason. Sure, I had a sewing class in Junior High but the only thing that resulted from that was an 80's shirt, shorts and a severe cut in my thumb from "testing" how sharp my scissors were (I know, dumb). By the way, sewing scissors are very sharp...

So it came as a shock to me that I started wanting to sew. Maybe it was due to Project Runway or maybe it just occured to me that there are thousands of things I can sew that I don't have to spend hours on, making them perfect. Another reason I picked it up, my love of fabric, that I know I've mentioned before.

Well, I got it in my head to make matching dresses for my beautiful girls for a Valentine photograph. I can't seem to find any dresses that match both a 5T and a 0-3 month in the same style and that frustrated me so I set out to do it myself. Honestly, I think it's cuter than the dresses in the stores but that's just because I put so much sweat and tears into the making of it. Since Will has been gone this week, I've been camping out at my parent's for several days for dinner and Mom graciously helped me with some of the basics of sewing that I didn't quite know how to do. I ended up making this adorable Newborn dress for Lynnea. Now I have to sew the toddler one. I can't wait! Here's another view. Those are ties on the shoulders.
I'll post a picture of Mikayla's once I finish and then I'll go get their picture taken.

2 comments:

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

Riva! That is down right amazing!

Okay... add that to my shopping cart. Along with the diaper bag I would like matching dresses for the girls, sizes 6T and 3T, and a matching outfit for Elijah, size 18-24M...

Just kidding, Riva! But, really, you have a gift! Great job! I can't wait to see the picture that you take with both of them in the dresses! So cute

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the dresses, RIva. What a fun thing to accomplish while Will was away. I'm glad you have such a great mentor in your mom. Maybe someday you'll share what you've learned with me. No dresses for me right now, though!
Love you, Christie