Tuesday, February 19, 2008

At the Summit...

One of my husband and my favorite places to go for special occasions is the Summit House. It's a beautiful restaurant on a hill in Orange County and the service makes you feel like you're a millionaire. Paired with the ambiance lighting inside and the city lights outside, it's the perfect date place. There are a few things that make a restaurant a cut above the others. Here are a few (I know, I'm really into lists this week.)

You know you're at a nice place when...

...after they take the bread plate, they use a flat knife to clean the bread crumbs off of the table so your elbows don't have to become the next "crusted" dish.
...it's so dark you can't see your waitress that well, or your busboy for that matter.
... some of the entrees don't even have a price listed.
...there is no entree in the "20 dollars and under" category
...the desserts look like the kind on those extravagant hotels on the Food Network
...the desserts have their own menu.
...your food is perfectly done (of course, all you can really see is the juice glistening on your steak since all of the lights are at half-light.
...they call you the day of to make sure that, yes, you will be spending half your paycheck at their establishment that night.

It is fun to take advantage of these extravagant places once in a while. Will commented that the first time we came here, we didn't really know how to act and now it seems like we're part of the regular crowd. Of course, we've only been here probably 4 or 5 times but it's special every time we go. Thanks to mom and dad for watching ALL the kids for us.

Here's a picture of my plate. We love to order their prime rib. One of the main reasons I order it is for their whipped horseradish sauce. I know, it sounds strange but it's like eating butter...with a kick. I asked for my prime rib medium and part of it came to the table looking like it was alive and kicking in the kitchen. At least that was the part on the bone. I was tempted to scrape the bone clean but thought that picking up the steak with your hands and gnawing on it like a dog was a little beneath me. Thank you to my beloved husband for dinner out. You know that's one of my favorite things and you did it well this time! I love you so much!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm salivating...and I love the labels on your picture of dinner :)

The dresses are adorable - Riva, you're so talented!

Emily said...

FYI: That flat knife has a name: It's called a "crumber". Really..... no joke.I think I just classified myself as a gormet food snob. The food looks yummy.....my tummy is a-rumblin. :)

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

I have only been to the Summit House for a wedding and I was newly pregnant so all of the food made me want to vomit! Sorry!

But I do remember tasting their cream corn that you brought to a party.

So glad you were able to have a special date night.

Kristy said...

That's so funny! I was going to comment to tell you the flat crumb knife is called a silent butler! I don't know where I heard that, but I'll have to look now to see if it's right since Emily said it's called a crumber. :) Maybe it's both.

Anyway....I was also going to say, we love to go to Roy's for special occasions, and they used to use the crumber thing too, and it always made me feel like a total slob, like I was SO MESSY that they couldn't stand to leave my mess and had to clean it up RIGHT NOW. I hated it. Of course, they don't use it any more since they now serve edamame instead of bread before the meal. I'm bummed. Not a fan of the edamame.

Jenna said...

It's still the only place we've been where they use the crumber/silent butler. We can usually only afford the lunch menu, though - glad to see you guys are rolling in the dough. And yes, I completely understand about the horseradish...love it.

--Jaysen