Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Cousin Craziness, or is my cousin crazy?

My cousin Cheryl came back from her home in Washington to finish up her junior year of college and was wonderful enough to come and grace us with her presence yesterday and today. The kids LOVE her and pretty much abuse her when she comes over (tickle-fights and jumping attacks) and it's a wonder she even returns to the Lee house at all. But, as you can see in the first picture, Cheryl is a kid herself. Tyler loves to give kisses and Cheryl is a favorite so he planted at least 20 kisses on her throughout the night.
Cheryl's friend, Erin, came over to see Lynnea last night. It was fun to catch up with her. After dinner, these 2 went to the $1 movies and saw 2 movies in a row. I was impressed. The last time I could physically do that, I think I was....yep, in college. It's amazing how a few years (and a few kids) can cause you to need a bedtime of 10:00, even though I don't get to bed that early most nights.
I've discovered that this is the favorite sleeping position, and place, for Lynnea. She loves the vibrating bouncy, on her side, in her blanket. As we all know, this takes a lot of D batteries. As we also all know, one of my husband's favorite phrases is, "never pay full price," or "get the best deal possible." This means that my D batteries are of the rechargeable kind and must be recharged every day to be at full power. After a total of about..oh...1 hour, the bouncer stops shaking as much and I have to replace one of the other D batteries from the music compartment to make the bouncy experience up to par for Lynnea. I do this a few times a day, enough for me to want to actually *gasp* BUY unrechargeable D batteries. Now I just have to convince Will that it is the best idea for our, I mean MY, sanity.
An embarrassing moment happened today. I feel quite guilty about it as well. It has to do with this carton of ice cream.
Will and Josh Nelson purchased it for our Amazing Race finale "party" on Sunday and it was much better than I thought it would be. White chocolate and dark chocolate are a winning combination. (I endured the milk chocolate) Anyway, a few days later, Cheryl and I each had a bowl of it for an afternoon snack and then put the rest into the freezer. This afternoon, I had a sugar craving and decided to pull out the ice cream. I MUST say that there was ONLY 1/2 inch of ice cream at the bottom, I think, so it didn't warrant getting out a bowl to put it in which is my excuse for only grabbing a spoon and the carton. As I sat there gorging on ice cream in front of the tv during my kids naptime, which is the only time I'll exhibit this type of behavior, my daughter came out to show me a drawing she had done in her room. Normally I tell her to go back in but I had showed her how to use tracing paper and she was so proud of herself. So...she came out to show me and there I was, spoon poised to dig into the remainder of the ice cream left in the carton. In my own way, I was silently horrified and unable to excuse my behavior as she stared at me incredulously. To make myself feel better, I gave her a heaping spoonful of ice cream. I think she went back to her room confused as to why I was able to pig out on sugar and I'm always warning her of the cavity potential in too much sugar consumption. Today the phrase, "kids learn more from your actions than from your words," took on a whole new dimension.

2 comments:

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

I got caught yesterday eating raw cookie dough straight from the container! Except, I didn't share. My almost 4 year old said, "Mommy you should learn to share better!"

Riva said...

oh good, I'm not the only one! I actually think cookie dough would have been better than ice cream.