Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Fair Day at the Fair

Never been to the LA Fair. At least not that I can remember. I usually visit when it comes to the good old OC.

However, yesterday the entry fee before 1:00pm was a whopping $1 instead of $17 so it felt worth it. Of course, the news story on the stabbing that occurred the day before was a tad disconcerting but we decided to brave the crowds and head to the "land that takes all of your money" anyway. Seriously. It took all of our money. $20 for 40 tickets makes you feel like you're gonna get a lot of rides in, right? 2 rides later...tickets gone. No, really! Really? We're in an economic slump here, folks, and you're charging $3 per ride? Oh, and the $10 fries and $6 hot dog also really worked out the wallet. Well, no matter the major rip-off, we bought a few tickets and the kids rode some rides. I felt the need to take a photo to document the 1 minute of sheer delight my children got out of said $3. I must admit, it was worth it for these faces...
Sheer joy - that was the only ride Lynnea rode on. Everything else was "too scary."
The three kids had a blast.
We went with some friends and this was the picture we got when we said, "silly faces!" I'm not entirely sure if Mikayla's face is silly...or something else....but it wasn't difficult to bring the tongues out.
Later in the afternoon, we caught a bird show. I won't mention the fact that it felt like 110 degrees outside and the only option for sitting were benches painted black. I honestly think I saw steam coming from the paint so I opted to stand in the sweltering heat...with my youngest on my shoulders. The things we do for our kids, I tell ya.

The show was entertaining if a little bit on the edge (I think the guy had a little bitterness about his ex-wife since he kept the jokes focused on relationships, or lack thereof) but the birds were beautiful and the kids got to hold the star of the show.
He actually left it on Tyler's arm for a while as he rounded up his little parrots from gathering dollar bills. After a few seconds, Tyler's arm started dropping due to the sheer weight of his winged friend.
At the end of the day, we were tired but enjoyed every minute. I think I drank more water yesterday than any other day of my life. Crowds, heat, sugar and fried foods are a once-a-year thing for this mother of three.

2 comments:

Mama Shoe said...

So good to catch up with your happenings via the blog (not as good as in person, but still good!) If I don't see pictures of your kids, I won't be able to recognize them the next time I see them, growing up so fast! How did your first day of school go? Needed any more tissue? =) Hugs and love, gracee

Mama Griffith, said...

hope your first day with the kids at school went well. Mine practically ran up the stairs to her class..sniff...sniffle. Loved your blog by the way.