Saturday, September 17, 2011

...and the shoe went flying!

You know how, when you're a parent, at times it seems like what you say doesn't mean a whole lot? Part of that realization comes from the fact that you have to keep saying things over and over and over and over...and over and over (I think you get the point). Another part comes from the fact that, even though you say things again and again, your kids just won't get it until the thing that you told them would happen...happens.

I'm not talking about discipline here. No, I'm talking about parental wisdom imparted to my young. You know, the kind that, if they listened, would make life so much easier? I feel like I've lived through quite a few "scenarios," made plenty of mistakes that I've definitely learned from (for the most part), and honestly feel as though my opinion should have some merit. I am, after all, older than them by a long shot. I guess what I'm saying here, is that my children should listen to what I have to say, and think, "you know, mom has a point, I should listen to her." I just know my own mom and dad are laughing right about now.

Alas, I guess that's only in a princess's fairy tale. Last I checked, I don't wear a crown nor am I a perfect size 4. Fairy tale this is not...

I'd like to share a few examples of when my wisdom should have been heeded, just to merely make myself feel better, and to make life quite a bit easier for my offspring.

Example #1 - I dared suggest today, while we were shopping for shoes, that Lynnea not bring her lick-em-stick from her candy into the store. Me: "Lynnea, if you bring that and it gets lost or broken, it's gone forever! Mommy's not getting you another one and all of that yummy lick-em-stick powder will have to be eaten with your finger." Lynnea brought it in anyway. And it broke. And she cried.

Example #2: "Tyler, please don't step on things. You're going to hurt yourself really badly or break something." Keep in mind I've probably said this about 2,325,689 times since my 5 year old was born. What does he do? He steps on a low kiddie table, slips, and falls...badly. My "wisdom" so far, has not been taken seriously. He insists he's all right and then steps on something else. I grit my teeth.

Example #3, in my opinion, is the best. And the most common in this household as of late. My 8 year old has been trying to demonstrate her desire to be independent. Most of the time it goes something like this,"You need to read 20 minutes tonight..." interjected quickly by "I know" said by 8 year old. Most of the time, I just let her do what she wants to do and learn the hard way. That's how today came about...

Soccer is a demanding sport that requires a lot of running...and good, well-tied shoes. Since we've begun practice, I've tried to tell Mikayla that her glittery Sketchers (with no shoe laces) will not do the job of kicking a soccer ball. I've tried! She accommodated me for the first game but apparently couldn't remember what I had said the second week. Practice went fine...in her Sketchers. I again told her that those weren't the correct shoes and that she'd have to wear her sneakers to the game.

In the hurry to get out the door (we had 4 hours but that, apparently, wasn't enough time for her to get ready...really, don't get me started on the "ready" thing) Mikayla wore her Sketchers. I noticed them when we got to the soccer field. You'll never guess what happened next.

Let me set the scene...

2 teams of 3rd and 4th grade girls, with coaches, with a referee
50 plus parents in the stands
intense game with yelling and shoe screeching (indoor soccer)
Sweat
a close score
ball rolls to Mikayla (as it has plenty of times)
Mikayla kicks the ball.....

...and the shoe goes flying....

I think the embarrassment of having to put the shoe on amidst the laughter should remind her to listen to the wisdom of her mother. I can only hope....

2 comments:

The Bford 5 said...

Hee hee classic!!!

The Blythe's Are Bloggin... said...

Oh girl! I feel ya!!!! This was a great post! One you need to save so you can show it to them when they have kids of their own. :)