Until my hubby returns with the handheld camera, my blog won't include any pictures. Who wants to haul around a 3 pound SLR monstrosity?
Anyway, if I thought my days of being unlucky were over, today proved otherwise. Now, I don't want you to think that I bring it upon myself but today, I guess I would agree with you that I can take some fault for what transpired this morning. I hope I'm not looking like a pessimist but these things really happen!!
I wanted to take my son to the park. What fun, I thought. Let's even bring along some bread to feed the cute ducks after we're finished playing on the park equipment. I hadn't anticipated the muddy, mucky ground or the fact that my stroller wheels would be coated in it. I also hadn't anticipated playing on the equipment with my child (if you ever want to feel old, run around on those park "obstacle courses" and you'll feel it).
After we traversed the bridges and slides, we headed off to feed those adorable, fluffy ducks. I chose a bench in the shade and brought out the bread. I am not exaggerating when I say that, within seconds, the air was penetrated by the honking of geese. The huge, lumbering beasts were surrounding us on all sides (most of them larger than my child) and oh, they saw all that delicious, white bread and, oh, they wanted it...badly. Once they started encroaching within feet of our standing position, Tyler started screaming. They weren't affected and proceeded closer to "the goods." I grabbed the bread and started throwing it to them in large chunks to get them to back off. One of the hungrier geese decided I just wasn't performing fast enough and grabbed my finger with his toothy bill. Ouch!! Does my finger look like bread? Am I really that white? I looked at my finger and, even though it didn't break the skin, there was a neat, zipper-like pattern of indentations left from his overzealous actions.
Needless to say, it looked like a good time to leave. I felt like I was in a horror movie as I attempted to maneuver the stroller through the hordes of feathered ruffians. I moved the stroller...they didn't move. I started using harsher tones....they didn't move. So I did the unthinkable (and no one had better call the animal people on me). I hit one of them with the stroller. Yes, as a matter of fact, I ran over its toes and hit it in the gut with the edge of the stroller. Did it move? Oh ya..you'd better believe it moved. I think it understood that I wasn't messing around. They proceeded to follow us for a while but realized they had behaved badly and weren't going to get any more handouts (literally).
As I scraped the mud off of the wheels of the stroller and tried to comfort Tyler so he didn't have goose nightmares, I leave you with a warning. Don't go to La Mirada park and try to feed the ducks if you see a goose on foot. It isn't worth the shattered nerves.
9 comments:
When does Will get back?! Hang in there Riva!!
Riva:
I mean "GEESE SLAYER!"
OK, so I think this is the FUNNIEST story yet! I can just picture you battling it out with the geese at the park! You are such an animal lover Riva! :) So funny.... still laughing. :) This is one of the reasons I HATE that park! The parks and rec need to take some considerable action against the ROUGE GEESE! Ferocious BEASTS!
p.s I think I would have done a lot more than hit the darn thing with a stroller! Who needs geese anyway?
Riva:
I mean "GEESE SLAYER!"
OK, so I think this is the FUNNIEST story yet! I can just picture you battling it out with the geese at the park! You are such an animal lover Riva! :) So funny.... still laughing. :) This is one of the reasons I HATE that park! The parks and rec need to take some considerable action against the ROUGE GEESE! Ferocious BEASTS!
p.s I think I would have done a lot more than hit the darn thing with a stroller! Who needs geese anyway?
Believe it or not Rolana's friend when she was in school had 2 geese as watch dogs. I wouldn't get out of the car until the family called them off. They would come up to the window and Hiss with their tongues wagging--It was awful and I admit effective to keep anyone away!!! Nancy
Riva,
Bryan and I took a picnic lunch there one time and I'm not kidding they were surrounding us and almost on top of us honking loudly. We had to slowly exit, but even then, they were pretty aggressive. They are nasty guys over there. Food at that park is a definite no-no if you don't want large feathered bullies attacking you. You had me laughing!!!
yeah this was your funniest post yet! but I have to correct my mom, one of the geese was mean the other was really nice, but they did come hiss at the window. My friend and I would throw our coats at him and ruch for the door...his name was honker.
I am still laughing... in a loving/supportive way, of course!
I took our kids to a duck pond the other day and while feeding the ducks, another "duck" swam up to us as we were throwing crackers into the water. The weird thing was, this "duck" had its head in the water the whole time. My mom was with us and she felt bad. She kept saying, "Oh, that poor duck. There must be something wrong with him." Just then, he aggressively dove under water and came up out of the water EATING A FISH! I actually took pictures of it, and began to feel scared because this "duck" had the sharpest, ugliest beak I have ever seen. I began to be nervous that he might jump up and bite my hand. He didn't. And it wasn't a duck. It was a Cormorant.
Not sure what my point was to that story... but I am sick, so I am excused!
You should cook it. The older generation Chinese mothers would totally be in agreement.
In response to the first part of this post, I carry around a 3 pound SLR monstrosity. Then again, I don't feel the same without it. haha
Love ya! :)
Post a Comment