Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sugar and Spice

As lovely as this shot is, it's pretty rare. Our kids love each other but it's usually in the form of getting in each other's space. Unfortunately for me, it's most often accompanied by the "banshee" scream from Tyler at the first sign of toy stealing and the giggling of Mikayla as she tries to "play" with Tyler. Don't get me wrong, there are the Rockwell moments when Tyler hugs his big sister and when Mikayla returns the hug with a stranglehold. It's fun to watch their relationship grow.



The smile I love. This smile came from throwing my fake fruit across the kitchen.

Now I know there are those moms out there that would look at this picture and cry, "how could she give those kids sugar at 8 at night!!" Let me reassure you that these are Healthy Choice Fudgesicles and that I have no problem giving my children at least one sugar-laden snack every day. This includes those horrible fruit snacks that the most pure moms wouldn't dream of letting their children ingest. I also indulge them in more than the regulated 1 hour of tv some days (especially when I want to actually enjoy my shower in the morning) and, since I'm confessing, I actually bring them to Target for FUN and buy popcorn and coke to keep them happy while I window shop in the scrapbook aisle. Mothering is so much fun and I wouldn't trade it for anything. However, as a mother and a woman, I believe life is for living, not perfecting. It's ok to let them watch tv, it's ok that they sing the words, " I want to move it, move it" from a cartoon even though it's not Christian lyrics, it won't kill them to drink a few sips of Pepsi at Target and it's a treat to have fudgesicles at 8:00 at night. Live life to the fullest!

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Ah Riva, you and Cara are the moms that keeps me sane. I think you're the real deal and that if more moms were relaxed about the little things we'd all be happier and our kids would probably be better adjusted.

Emily said...

Hi Riva, it's Emily Navarro. I found your blog off your Website, and just wanted to tell you that I really enjoy reading it. Like one of your previous posts said, it's not one of those blogs that is all about showing how perfect and happy your life is. I like the honest perspective much better, and one that I can relate to better too! Oh yeah, and I love looking at pictures of, and hearing stories about your adorable kids!