When you're a stay-at-home mom, snacks sometimes become binges, at least in my kitchen. I bought this tortilla dough that cooks in only a few minutes and is even great uncooked (ask my cousin Cheryl). For some reason today, since I only had a Lean Cuisine for lunch, I was unusually ravenous at around 4:00pm so I decided to have the world's greatest snack; a tortilla coated in butter and "sprinkled" with cinnamon and sugar. Now, my kids LOVE the dough by itself so I ended up giving them pieces of one tortilla while I cooked another. I lightly buttered it and sprinkled it with the required cinnamon and sugar, cut it into bite-size pieces and proceeded to eat it daintily with no plans to eat another. Somehow, the bag was re-opened and another one started cooking. Here's where the binge happened. With the second one (which was really the third because I had eaten some of the dough with the kids), the buttering and sugaring was equivalent to that of a Cinnabon cinnamon roll which we all know top the caloric intake for the entire day, and then rolled instead of cut for maximum eating speed. With the butter dripping out of the tortilla, I inhaled it in record time. I don't usually eat this way. If I do, I wait until the kids are asleep or I have to share. In short, being around your kitchen ALL day, EVERY day, leads to some impulsive and downright scary behavior. Just a warning for those of you who don't think this can happen to you....it can.
By the way, Tyler fell on his lip again....I think this is the beginning of a long relationship with Dr. Chon...
3 comments:
My downfall is goldfish crackers. You never think about them until you have a toddler, and then suddenly you're addicted. Like, addicted in a 12 step program kind of way. When Judah asks for them I usually eat three times as many (at least) as he does.
I totally relate -- I could tell you so many snack binge stories of my own. I've found the only way to avoid them when you're at home all day is to just not have any junk food in the house at all!
-Emily
Riva, you're hilarious! I've totally done stuff like that, except I usually try to cancel it out by eating a bunch of baby carrots at the end. As if that makes a difference!
Post a Comment