Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oreo

You wanna squish it, don't you???
I know I do. This little girl is our newest family member. She's replacing (if you can call it that) our old, shriveled, mommy-starved-me, baby lizard that met an untimely death a few weeks ago. Live crickets aren't my thing. I'm sorry. I kept it going for a good 10 months. I'm glad it's over.

So, on to the newby. She's a Russian Dwarf Hamster and her name is Oreo.
The best part is, she was free. Yes, free. At Petsmart. Can you believe it?

Here's the story (you're right, Ben, there's gonna be some great blog stories in the future).

The kids had been exceptionally good...after they'd been exceptionally bad. I had instilled a "rules" board that they must follow in order to earn points to make up for being exceptionally bad. Those points earned a pet if they were exceptionally good. Are you kind of getting the gist? That pet eventually turned out to be a hamster. It took 2 weeks to rack up points (lots got erased in the process) and, let me tell you, it felt like months.

Which brings us to the pet store. On the day of the purchase, we looked at all of the hamsters; fat ones, thin ones, lazy ones, white-rat-looking ones, and fast ones (hilariously called Robo hamsters). None of them were looking like "Lee #6". Then the Petsmart employee mentioned that she had a baby in the back, along with the other hamster overflow units (ok, who knew there were hamsters in overflow in the back? It felt like a shoe store with a stock room. Strange).

So, back to the story. I guess there had been a little mistake in male/female lodgings which had produced 9 babies. These babies could not be sold, according to Petsmart rules, but they could be adopted. All of the other 8 were gone. Oreo was #9.

Of course, as soon as Mikayla heard the word, "baby" she immediately decided that was the one, sight unseen. Luckily the baby was a cute one and had been handled a little bit so she wasn't as apt to make a run for the nearest exit.

We signed the paperwork to make her ours and then proceeded to buy the store out of premium hamster bedding, the perfect "silent" wheel, and wood chew toys just to make up for the $14 we weren't spending on the rodent itself. Well, to be honest, I was feeling a little guilty for just taking the thing!

So, here she is, beady eyes and all, and the kids love her. I do think she's pretty cute. I could do without the rice-sized pellets she flings all over the house when she's running in her exercise ball but I'll forgive her for that. After all, my kids can produce way worse...

1 comment:

Mama Shoe said...

Welcome to the newest Lee member. May she live long and prosper ! =)
She is very cute, and cute name too.