Saturday, January 1, 2011

Been A While

OK...so it's been a while. Once 2nd grade hit, my life changed and my "extra" time became nonexistent. Add to that a MOPS coordinator position, a son in preschool and a craft fair to prepare for, and my blog took a hit. Thank you to those of you who have asked me to return to my blog of random thoughts. Thank you to everyone who actually reads what I have to say. It really does make this little page worthwhile.

So, it's New Year's. A new year...new projects...new "to do" lists (or old ones that haven't been done yet). And what do I do to celebrate? I risk imminent asthma attacks, streaks of impatience, and 3 involved pairs of hands and I attempt, yes, attempt, to organize and de-clutter the kid's rooms.

It started a few weeks ago, before Christmas. Since I now had 3 children who could successfully use the potty, I felt the need to get rid of all things "baby." My friend, Kristine (hi, Kristine!) bought the changing table, the crib is coming down in a few days and Will and I went and bought our 3rd twin mattress for the 3rd (and last) child.

New Year's morning was quite overwhelming to say the least. All I saw were toys scattered throughout the back of the house, dust rabbits collecting in those untouched corners and 3 children who moaned and groaned at the thought of picking up anything! Woe is me! I had to remind them that not only do I cook, clean, and go to work, they are only responsible for playing, sleeping, and picking up after themselves. I also stated that I would love it if they wanted to accept responsibility for their own well-being (like make their own food, wash their own clothes, and pay the bills), but they quickly decided that helping me organize seemed like the better option.

Mikayla was a big help with the cleaning and I can proudly say that 95% of the cleaning is DONE! Everything has a place and now the only thing left is to put up the 3rd twin bed and take down the last remaining piece of babyhood - the crib. That will be tomorrow's job.

So, for now, I am proud of myself. I'm proud that this first day of the year I've accomplished the first thing on my "to do" list. I'm on track to finish out the year strong...

5 comments:

Robin said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO Riv!

Anonymous said...

So nice to see you blogging again. It is hard to believe that your little one has progressed beyond babyhood! Happy New Year. Nancy

Mama Griffith, said...

yeah!! Your back!

Lisa said...

I'm impressed you actually helped your kids feel responsible! I either didn't think many of the chores my parents wanted me to do were important, or that they were too hard (I was very disorganized) or that it just wasn't my job. I had to be nagged. I honestly don't know what could have changed me - except not having anyone else to do them, like now!

Riva said...

Lisa, it took a lot of nagging for me to get to the point of forcing myself to clean their room. Mikayla didn't willingly help either...it took some blackmail. =) Nancy, I can't believe babyhood is over either. It kind of makes me sad, for a moment.