Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Little Things

Painting! Lynnea and Tyler decided that today they wanted to paint the entire Blue's Clues book while I took a shower (when you're a mom, you've got to seize the moment), so I set them up and they went at it. Here are a few photos of their moment of creativity.The little things in life are sometimes overlooked. My kids, however, notice the little things and help me see them in my rushed and hurried schedule. The next picture is of one of those little things.
This beautiful butterfly has been in our home for about 2 weeks. You're probably wondering why it sits so perfectly on my yellow roses and I'll tell you. It's dead. That's the "little things" part of this story.

It all began on our walk to deliver Mikayla to school one morning. On the crack of one sidewalk, Tyler found this small, weak, painted lady butterfly and picked it up with excitement. He desperately wanted to take him home and nurse him back to health. (This was followed by the comment, "and then, when he dies, I want to pin him onto my wall"). Yes, it definitely took a little of the "awww" factor out of the moment.

Anyway, I didn't have high hopes for survival but we brought it home, put it in our butterfly house and cut a slice of lemon for it to drink. It didn't. For 2 days. Then 4 days. The lemon shrank, the butterfly continued to lay there and I eventually decided that it was dead. When I picked up the insect, however, he still moved his tongue and his legs so I put him in a little bowl and waited for the inevitable. It took 1 1/2 weeks for him to finally rest in peace. So, there he sits, on the roses, waiting for me to figure out what to do with him. Pinning him on the wall doesn't really match with our house's decor so I'm trying to decide when would be a good time to dispose of him with dignity. Maybe we'll bury him out back. I must say, though, that his will to survive was quite impressive. It made me think about the awesomeness of God's creatures (is that even a word?). God knew even this tiny butterfly and, to think, He knows us even more and cares about every one of us. Thank you, God, for little reminders of your grace.

No comments: