Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sewing Itch

A few months ago, my sister and I participated in a craft fair that went fairly well (for me...sorry, Cara) but I sewed and sewed and felt like I was sewing every spare minute of my time. I really don't think the amount I made covered the time I spent. Isn't that always the case with crafts? But that's not the subject I'm writing about today. That would take up a whole page in itself.So, back to the topic at hand. As you can only imagine, the sewing machine was put away very shortly after the fair and hasn't been seen since then....until now. I just got the itch. The itch to be creative. It comes upon me every once in a while and I just have to satisfy that part of my soul. Fortunately, I had a few things on my "to sew" list that I couldn't ignore any longer so I set about to finish (ahem...start and finish) the projects. I love the finished products. That's why I sew. I like the process...most of the time. Sometimes Will gets to hear my common phrase, "seriously, where's the sledge hammer," when my machine acts up but, for the most part, I enjoy learning new sewing techniques and trying new things on everything I make.

My first project was a diaper bag I had promised to a friend back in November! Can you believe it? I'm just NOW getting to it? Sorry, Heather. Part of the reason I waited was that I had to find just the right fabric. Heather assured me I did and this is the finished product. It cleared out my green corderoy. (That's another thing about me...I LOVE finishing things, ANYthing. Lotion, a cracker box, makeup, and, yes, even fabric. It just makes me feel good).Next was a fairy tooth fairy pillow that my friend asked me to make. I love making custom things so this was right up my alley. Pastel pink fairy with a little "princess" thrown in there. Gotta love the sparkle!Then JoAnn's had a sale. That's dangerous for my wallet. I end up spending WAY too much on things I probably could live without. If you haven't noticed by now, I am a fabric junkie. I MUST buy fabric if I go to a fabric store. It doesn't mean I'll use it...now...it just means I have to feel it, have it, admire it, and eventually find the perfect thing to make it into. So, the sale. Yes, there was a big sale, on patterns! 99 cents! I had to buy about 5 of them. 2 of them were Hannah Montana inspired so I chose a shirt pattern and made it for Mikayla. I really have to study patterns when I make things but all that studying and re-reading worked out! The shirt came out looking really nice and fit her well. Of course she's wearing it to school today. Lucky for me, she loves to have unique and one-of-a-kind outfits. I think I'm going to make her a vest next...

1 comment:

Robin said...

May I have a lesson?? I cannot read patterns to save my life and Abby has been asking me to sew her a dress : ) Your projects look AMAZING!!!!