A few months ago, a city near us put in an "eco-friendly, simulated ice rink." Mikayla had just been to an ice skating party and loved it so much that I thought it would be fun to let her try out her new skills close to home. So I called the number to see what how accurate the "simulated" rink was and the lady on the phone said, "oh, our rink is almost exactly like an ice rink. Only a professional could tell the difference."


Well, I guess that makes me a professional. The second I stepped onto that rink, I almost fell on my face due to an inability to
glide on the amazingly
real plastic. Mikayla kept trying to show me how to do it but, honestly, my feet would NOT glide more than 1 foot without getting stuck on shavings of waxy plastic. Ok, it wasn't that bad but it definitely did not resemble an honest to goodness ice rink. There was one positive. It wasn't cold! We originally paid for an amazingly exhilerating hour long session of skating but, after setting one foot on the rink, quickly told the lady we'd only be able to last 30 minutes, at best.

The kids did have fun until Tyler bruised both butt cheeks with about 10 minutes to spare. I think they were more jealous that Lynnea got to play on the large, pretend pirate ship while they skated around for 1/2 an hour. Needless to say, now that I've checked off "try out an eco-friendly, simulated ice skating rink" off of my bucket list, I probably won't be trying it again...at least not soon.

Lynnea got to watch. Her t-shirt is courtesy of our Hawaiian neighbor who calls my kids "hapa-hali" which, in Hawaiian, means of mixed descent.
No comments:
Post a Comment