Saturday, January 22, 2011

Three

The number three is a pretty significant number in our house right now. Obviously, I have 3 kids which is the first significant thing but the second one is a bit more challenging...
Lynnea is 3...
Now, as everyone knows, the "terrible two's" are always touted as the worst of the worst but, in this house, it seems like God plays a joke on us and makes the ages of challenge fall at 1 1/2 and (drum roll, please) 3. *sigh* Lynnea is a joy, don't get me wrong. She is fun, creative, loving, a great communicator. This is where I must add some "buts." Communication is great. It is! It's one of the things we all can't wait to be able to share with our children. But when your child communicates the same thing, loudly, over and over, it becomes somewhat of a thorn in your side. There are some days that I actually have the reflexes to answer Miss Lynnea the first time she asks but the second time she asks comes within .01 seconds of the first time that, most days, my reflexes don't work that fast. So, here is a usual conversation:
L: "mommy, I'm hungry. I want something to eat."
M: "o.."
L: "mommy!! I'm hungry!"
M: "k..."
L: "something to eat, mommy! (with tears and whining starting)"
M: "What do..."
L:" mommy!!! something to eat, mommy!" (crying)
M: "whatdoyouwanttoeatLynnea?"

whew, it's tough to get a word in edgewise when Lynnea is hungry or wronged of toy time. Also, most of the time, her voice is louder than most cheerleading squads. I'm trying to be patient. I'm trying to smile and think happy thoughts. I'm trying not to yell after the first time. But it's hard! Three is definitely a challenge.

There are several more 3's I can think of at this stage of life: Mikayla is in her 3rd year of school, and loving it. Here she is after I painted her nails. We don't paint them that often so it was pretty cool.
And even more 3's:
Three...meals a day with, what seems like, 3 snacks in between each one (lots of kitchen time)
Three...times a year we go to the park. (ok, maybe a few more times than that but it wouldn't work with the theme)
Three...gray hairs per day (it seems like) on my thirty-something head.
Three...baths to give every other day
Three...more years until Lynnea starts school
Three...hours of homework Mikayla took home when she missed one day of school

Three is wonderful, especially three wonderful, beautiful children. I thank God for mine and must say that three is a pretty lucky number.

No comments: