It had been gathering dust for 7 years, sitting in the mail slot for almost a decade. It even lived through a kitchen remodel and numerous mail "weed-outs." Finally, I decided I could wait no longer and I redeemed it...it was a 1 pound gift certificate to See's Candies. I'd bought it from the child of a fellow employee for a fundraiser while I worked at the Register a loooong time ago.For some reason, I had a bad sweet tooth. I needed to taste that chocolate bliss. So I entered the "adult" candy store with my children in tow. Needless to say, they almost went crazy with the smell of chocolate in the air. Keep in mind, I haven't set foot in a See's candy store since Whittwood Mall was still a happening place ( for those of you who don't know, it has been torn down, rebuilt and renamed. It is very much improved since the "mall" days. It even has a Target!!).
Anyway, on to the moment of true joy. My gift certificate was for a pound of chocolates. In my opinion, that would be DARK chocolates, the only real kind. The older lady at the counter (why do they always have older employees at See's Candies?) told me that I could pick any chocolates I wanted to fill the pound box. What a dangerous option! As I walked past the window of chocolates, each placed on their own platform and surrounded by their own paper "bed" I felt like I was cheating on a diet I'd never even been on. I kept choosing chocolates and the lady kept telling me that I could choose "more, more, and even more!!!" I almost giggled with delight and chose only the ones that would sit in my veins long after the indulgence had passed. Only the buttercreams and truffles will do, thank you. So, after making those behind me wait as I chose carefully, letting my children walk the length of the store unattended, I finally chose my 22 pieces. Here they are (well, most of them).
...and here's a close-up of the bordeaux, one of my favorites.
As the lady wrapped my own box of "gluttony" she made sure to remind me to come early for Valentine's day. She didn't ask me if I was coming to get chocolates for V-day, she wanted to make sure that when I came, I did so before Friday. Did my wide eyes and all-too-exuberant expression at the store make her think I'd be back? I think I started something and it might be a difficult habit to quit.
4 comments:
Matt has had a gift certificate for 1 lb of chocolate from Sees for as long as I've known him. I keep telling him it would be a great "free" date! I guess the card came from his grandma (who is now dead) so it's sentimental. I promised to take a color photocopy of it before the date. So far it's a no go. I'll just live through your experience. Enjoy a dark one for me!
I have a certificate from about 6 years ago... I'll be very happy to re-gift it to you. I'll have to go find it.
If you REALLY wouldn't use it...but seriously, I need to stay away from See's. I have almost finished the box already.
Riva, you HAD to get a chocolate close-up. Now I'm drooling. And I have NO dark chocolate in the house. Awful. I'm just glad THAT'S not the last thing you ate before you threw up last night. That could have destroyed all your chocolate cravings! Love you!
Post a Comment