Sunday, November 16, 2008

Through the Smoke

Southern California, namely Orange County, has been plagued by ravage wildfires these past few days. I'm sure you've heard on the news the devastation that has been done in Brea, Chino Hills and the surrounding areas but it's so much more real when it's in your own backyard.

This morning, in the church service, our pastor mentioned a striking parallel between these troubled times and the smoke and flames of the out of control fire. In these times of economic struggle and a future of potential political and moral failure, the fire was a physical reminder of the "smoke" in our hearts. Thankfully, God is our firefighter (I know, the analogy is stretching it a bit) but he fights for us in every way, to protect us from destruction and lead us into blue skies. We pray for the families whose homes have been taken from them and for those who have been evacuated.

Here is what our house looked like this morning. The air was smoky and ashes covered everything.
This weekend also brought with it my cousin and her husband from Colorado (their new home). They moved from Washington a few weeks ago. Ben and Lisa hung out with us last night and got to experience a household of kids, noise, and good food. Lynnea actually let Ben hold her for a few minutes, too!
On Friday, I went over to my mom's house. She watched the 2 little ones while I got my hair cut. I just had to post a funny picture of Lynnea. When she's on grass or cement, she "crawls" with her feet on the ground. She's literally walking on her hands and feet. It's quite hilarious to watch.
And Tyler helped water Grammie's plants.
I also wanted to do a quick post about the book I just finished reading. For all of those people out there who have been swayed by the media into thinking that President Bush hasn't done his job well, isn't intelligent, and doesn't have the experience to be in the White House, I strongly encourage you to read this book. Especially those of you who are Democrats and actually struggle with why we went to war, the truth on certain matters like the "Patriot Act", "No Child Left Behind" and Bush's comment on nuclear weapons in Iraq. The author actually voted for Al Gore before he researched and wrote this book so he is not a biased writer. His portrayal of George W. Bush is one of admiration, respect, and clarity on how he has lead this nation and he interviews key people in both the Secret Service and lifelong friends of our President.
Just had to plug this book. I have a whole new respect for our President and am very wary of things to come.

No comments: