For some reason, this pregnancy has been challenging when it comes to the amount of energy needed to cope during the day and the amount of energy God has given me the last few months. I can't believe I actually got out and went walking with the kids this morning (even though it ended with really bad back pain) but I did and it reminded me of the many ways I feel pregnant...
1. Making dinner consists of finding whatever furry leftovers you can see in the fridge and then pairing it with a box of rice-a-roni. I almost reheated a piece of chicken that was more than a week old but not even a pregnant woman wants to risk that food poisoning.
2. Walking from the back of the house to the front, or vice versa, makes you feel you ran a half marathon. You almost have to put your hands on your knees and take a breather.
3. You resist the urge to have that Nutter Butter Freezee from Tastee Freeze because you're scared to death you've gained more than the allotted amount for your doctor's appointment next week. This happens especially after the doctor mentions your 9 pound weight gain of the previous month.
4. Cravings are pretty strong but as soon as you get that food you want, you no longer want it.
5. Shoving the kids outside to play is your relaxation time because "mommy can't run around too much so I'll sit here on the chair and watch you while I read my book." Then it's exhausting just watching them run around and sweat.
6. Standing for too long causes all the bodily fluids to fall to your feet and puddle at your ankles. Unfortunately, then, you can no longer fit your feet into those 3 pairs of flip flops you bought that most consider comfort shoes.
7. Everything you eat at toward the middle of pregnancy comes back to haunt you a few hours later in the form of a burning esophagus. This can happen even if you eat the most mild of foods. (although this wonderful event didn't happen with Mikayla)
8. Feeling the baby kick is a necessity for your spouse. As I told my husband, "if I have to carry three of them, you have to feel all 3 of them kick. It's your responsibility."
9. Bending over to do anything, period, makes you want to throw your arms up in defeat. (It also makes you impatient when you're the only one cleaning up the child's toys because she feels like 'it's too much'")
10. A clean house does not exist. If it looks clean, it's just because the toys have been moved to another location, out of the eyesight of guests. All other dust and dirt doesn't get picked up for a few weeks-what's the point? The hour after you sweep, all hidden dirt finds it an irresistible playground.
All in all, it's worth it to have a new life growing inside of me, a true miracle. I do wonder if it would be too much to ask God why men don't have to carry any of them, especially if you reach #3.
6 comments:
Gosh Riv, after reading that it kind of makes me think what's our hurry for number 2 anyway? :)
I especially remember the heartburn with Camdyn and the exhaustion. It didn't matter what I ate either. Somehow it's still completely worth every minute of it, but let me know if you ever get an answer on that question about hubbies carrying the babies!
AMEN!!!!! I was cracking up while reading this. So true it is..
Amen, sister. Being pregnant while trying to deal with a toddler is a completely different experience than being pregnant with the first. Ah, I remember the days when I'd skip work and just sleep all day because I didn't feel good. Some days I wish I could call in sick to Judah..."Sorry, buddy, take the car and find something to do today. Mommy's too tired. And also, you got out of bed 17 times last night, so it's YOUR FAULT!" :)
Hi Riva,
I found your blog through your "totalee" e-mail address...
These are great...I totally agree! Although, it's so impressive to me that you're going through it all while caring for two other little ones! : )
This is great, Riva! I can totally relate. Especially with the clean house. I feel like I'm just starting to try to catch up on that dusting and cleaning now that Vincent is 2 months. Oh, well. You're probably the only one who notices...right? (=
Wow! Congratulations, Riva! I didn't even know you were pregnant and you are already more than 20 weeks along!
I'm sad we aren't in touch anymore... but I am glad I can click on your blog once in a while to see how you are doing!
We will pray for a healthy baby to be born in December!
Lots of love,
heidi
Post a Comment