Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Almost Missed it...

There are a lot of things we have to juggle as moms. For me, it's 2 school schedules, an almost 4 year old and her need for food at all times during the day, and my own "to do" list, and that's just for starters. So it's no wonder that, this morning, I completely forgot about my kid's school Christmas performance. Yep, the one that they perform for all of the parents. The one that your camera goes into overdrive because you're recording every second. Yes, the very same Christmas performance that required my youngest to be in his Kindergarten class an hour earlier than normal. The one I almost missed.

After leisurely walking my oldest and her friend to school in the morning, I came home and actually picked up Tyler's homework folder (I usually never do this at 8:40 in the morning) to look over his corrected homework. I suddenly realized that the teacher had tucked a little note in there. The note said, "Remember that all Kindergartner's are on the early bird schedule tomorrow for our Christmas performance (and tomorrow was now today!)." Cue panicky mom moment...and, boy, did I have one!

After taking about 30 seconds to chastise myself for being an awful, unorganized parent (a slap in the face of my perfectionism), the whirlwind began. "Change the child into something green or red, cram some shoes on, pack an adequate snack, and shove everyone into the car to get to school by 9:00 - oh, and Riva, try to retain that loving holiday spirit."

What resulted from the morning's tornado of activity? Well, I'm proud to say I actually made it to my children's Christmas program, took a few pictures, and was able to at least put a little mascara on to take care of the "just rolled out of bed" look I'd been sporting on the leisurely walk to school I described earlier. Oh, and I also vowed to always check the homework folder the night before so I had adequate amounts of time to make sure that my child wasn't the only one in a short sleeved green shirt and sandals for the WINTER Christmas program (can you just see me rolling my eyes?). That's my Tyler!

So, for your enjoyment, here are the few shots I took..



 And here is Tyler and his summery, short sleeve shirt...gotta love it

5 comments:

Mama Griffith, said...

Your such a great mom, even on the fly you remembered your camera.....I went and saw everyone else snapping shots, realizing all too late that I didn't even bring a cell phone with adequate pixals. Oh sigh. We do what we can and pray God will take care of the rest!

Riva said...

I'm actually shocked I remembered my camera! I guess that, and the fact that I got there on time, made the morning a success. =)

Riva said...

Oh, and Rolana, I just love reading your comments. It's nice to know someone reads my nonsense.

The Bford 5 said...

Man Riva, have I been there I have such a clear picture of what your morning looked like! I'm so thankful for that silly little homework folder that saved the day, thanks for sharing so honestly, your story helps all of us other Moms to know we aren't alone!!

Leila said...

I love to read your nonsense. It makes me feel better about my nonsense. Let the nonsense continue!