Friday, April 22, 2011

Dancing with dad...kind of

Last night was the Father-daughter dance at Mikayla's school. She missed it her first grade year because I kept forgetting to take the $20 for the ticket with me on the walk to school. After being told by several moms, whose daughters went, say that it was such a wonderful father-daughter bonding time, I felt sad that Mikayla had to miss out on such a fun night. (OK, part of it was that I didn't want my poor hubby to have to "make friends" with the other, dressed-up dads after a long day of work. It turns out that several of the dads that we know had been there last year. He would have been fine. Can you just see me rolling my eyes?)

The night began at 6:00. I found a really cute dress for Mikayla a few weeks ago and we did her hair up pretty and dressed her in her new shoes (I don't think she's ever owned a pair of white Sunday dress shoes before) and she was ready to go.

A few pictures before she left... and a few with daddy...Oh, and then she had to get silly. I'm actually shocked that I got a normal picture before this next one. Apparently she wanted to show off her moves (and her dexterity) so this is what I got for the next few frames...
Can you see that Daddy is hardly phased? That's because it's normal to have Mikayla's legs flying which is why the daddy-daughter dance was perfect for her.

The night went well, according to Daddy. Once the girl posse hit the dance floor, however, daddy hardly saw his little girl. I urged him, before he left, to take advantage of the time with Mikayla but I guess it was kind of hard getting her alone without a gaggle of girls following after.

I couldn't help but think of the future as I watched her get dressed up and go out on her "date." Guys. Dates. Dances. Kisses. Marriage. Whew! I get carried away quickly. I'm not sure I'm ready for all that stuff. Thankfully, for now, Mikayla just loves being with her friends and tonight was a time, away from school, that she could make memories and dance her heart out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what a fun occasion and Mikayla looks so grown up!!!Fun to create a memory. nancy

lena said...

how sweet! what special memories! i love the father-daughter dance idea. i think our school does that in kindergarten. and i get carried away with the thoughts of my kids' futures too.