Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Beach Day!

This past weekend, we had the pleasure of celebrating my mom's birthday (a big one but I won't reveal her age without her consent) and my Nana's birthday the week. Our way of celebrating? Taking all 5 children, many snacks, sunscreen and cameras and hitting the beach! But not just going to the beach...riding the train to the beach!! Double exclamation points!! The kids were so excited to ride the train. Of my kids, Tyler was the only one who had ridden a train but he loved it and my girls were excited to have a new experience. Lynnea was a little nervous, especially at the Lynnea-sized gap between the curb and the train step, but she got over it very quickly and talked my mom's ear off the entire way to San Clemente. Thanks, mom, for enduring that long trip...

The kids waited anxiously for the train.The adults preferred the benches.
My sister and I don't get a chance to hang out together. It was such a blast to be together all day! I wish it happened more often. (Cara on the left, Riva on the right: just thought you might need a hint.)
My dad walked up and down a little with the kids while we waited in anticipation for the huge, loud, automotive to come chugging down the rails.
After a little joking with Will about his height, the men got together for a picture. Thus, the look on my husband's face...
With his little girl. The hair didn't stay in place very long, much to my chagrin. I spent a long time on that braid!
When we got to the beach, the kids spent hours in the sand.
My camera has a "beach" setting but, to be honest, I think this picture would have turned out even better with the "every-camera-has-this-normal-setting" setting. Good grief. Too many settings can just be too many sometimes. Try as I might, Lynnea still looks like a shadow.
Playing by the pier.

After the train ride home, we ate at the Spaghetti Factory where the staff embarrassed my mom and my Nana with one candle each on their ice cream and some very loud singing. Add to that my daughter with only one shoe (somehow she lost it in San Clemente) and enough food for the day to go into hibernation, and you can see that the day was well-spent. I think dad will have to work some extra hours since it was his generosity that made every detail happen. Thanks, dad!
Happy Birthday to 2 of the most wonderful women in my life! May you be blessed with many more years!!

1 comment:

Mama Griffith, said...

What fun! I know what you mean about camera settings...usually I point and shoot hoping it comes out. ;)