Tuesday, March 30, 2010

To be content...

Contentment is an idea that I've been struggling with as of late. To be content...How do you succeed at being content in a world where the "amount" of everything matters so much? In the past few weeks I've anguished over the comparisons with other moms, families, kids, activities, income. Here are a few of my thoughts.
"Her daughter is in softball AND girl scouts? I can hardly handle girl scouts!
They can afford to buy so many things and put their kids in so many activities. When will my kids realize that they can't do what other kids do because of finances?
She can make money from a hobby she enjoys and have an awesome career? My creative moments come in spurts and my job is not what I'd call a "career."
She's pregnant with #4? Looking back when I get older, am I going to regret not having more?
They go on so many vacations and get so much time together as a family. I wish I didn't have to be gone 2 nights a week and miss out on family time. When do we get a vacation?

What is wrong with me? Where does all of this come from? It certainly doesn't come from a loving God who wants us to be content with all that we have and provides for all of our needs, both physical and emotional.

So the next time I'm sitting at work wondering which part of my degree was needed for doing data entry, or watching as mothers run from sports, to dance, to everything inbetween, I will thank God that He has given me beautiful children, a chance to earn a few extra dollars, and my family and friends...and in the midst of this, I'll remember the truths of this verse...

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Philippians 4:11-13

May the God of peace be with you as well!

2 comments:

Mama Griffith, said...

Wow, I totally understand. Contentment is such a biggie for me..It took me 3 years to truley be content at our perminant decision to not have anymore kids. Contentment is soo freeing! As far as girl scouts, soccer, dance, etc. The thing I remember about school isnt the activitys I did, it was the shared moments with my family. Thanks for sharing, your not alone!

Lisa said...

Aw, Riva. Things don't sound easy for you, but it does sound like you have balance! For example, if you had a swinging career and your children in lots of activities, you probably would get minimal family time! None of the people you know really "have it all". That's what I tell myself when I wish I had more time for ____, like my friend ____.