After the last day of school and the huge sigh of relief of all the parents, I would like to share several things I have come to learn in this first year of school. Believe it or not, I am still learning! Keep in mind that these are only observations and may be somewhat skewed.
1. I don't know if I could ever be a Kindergarten teacher. There is altogether way too much craft preparation, supervision, and craft space invasion for my taste. I think I would have gone crazy when the first tube of paint came unscrewed. I almost went dizzy when I entered the primary color bonanza during open house. I have a whole new realm of respect for those who actually work all day in that color explosion.
2. Mikayla values friendships over anything else...even family (or so it seems). Every day after school I would get the puppy dog eyes and the plaintive, "mommy, can I go over to (RJ, Julia, Brady, Mikaela's) house?" If I answered, "no, not today," there would be begging and a sad face for the rest of the afternoon. I feel like my afternoons were taken up teaching about the importance of family, being grateful for the time we spend with friends, and every other "lesson" you can think of. Thankfully, it got better at the end of the year, finally. Lord, give me wisdom for the High School years.
3. Parents have so much homework in Kindergarten!!! Oh, you think your 6 year old will remember her reading, her book report, and whatever other various things thrown her way but you'd be wrong! In the beginning of the year, I started having flashbacks to the first days of college when your syllabus is thrown at you and you start breaking into a cold sweat wondering how you're ever going to get anything done. I think I actually had a few nightmares about forgetting the "treasure book" and showing up to class with no item to share on Thursday. On "W" day, I actually committed a neighborly no-no by picking a "weed" for Mikayla to share on the walk to school. I was actually kind of proud of myself. "L" week was a challenge but, miraculously, there was "lid" in my stroller. What were the odds? Hey, Kindergarten is no-nonsense! I can only imagine what first grade will do to me.4. There are a lot of kids my daughter's age in our neighborhood. The sad thing is that I didn't even notice they were there until we went to school. I think having 3 kids in 5 years made me kind of a hermit. I'm so glad to have found some kids around us and am thankful that Mikayla will grow up with some great friends.
5. You can't do anything if your kid is in half day kindergarten. Not that I'm an advocate of full day, in fact I think it's a little cruel, but I found myself not being able to commit to anything "hang-out" worthy because I only had a few hours away from the school. I made due with the time I had but it sure will be nice to be able to go further than my corner Target once Mikayla's in school all day.
6. Lastly, the thing I learned most of all (although I'd already learned it years ago), I sure am proud of my little girl. Mikayla went from shedding a tear the first day of school to having most of the kids in her class call her "friend," receiving an "outstanding reader" award, learning such skills as how to be self-motivated, and growing into an even more beautiful and wonderful person. Kindergarten is only one year and, based on how fast this year has gone, it will be no time at all before my "first baby" graduates high school.
Thank you, Lord, for this blessing, for this amazing little girl that you've entrusted to me. Some days I don't feel worthy enough or patient enough or good enough but I thank you for allowing her to love me through my shortcomings as well as my "good role model" days.
Now, on to Summer vacation!!
No comments:
Post a Comment