Thursday, June 18, 2009

30 degrees...really??

Camping...with toddlers...in Big Bear...in a summer that feels like winter...enough said.No, really, it was bordering on miraculous that we got home with all 10 fingers and toes after the 2 nights we spent shivering on our ice cube air mattress dressed in every piece of clothing we had, including gloves. The days weren't so bad but the nights! I don't even want to describe how cold it was or how, since I couldn't go to sleep, I had to visit the marvelous restrooms in the dead of night armed only with a flashlight in wild animal territory. Needless to say, I couldn't tell you if the stars were beautiful at night because I ran a 50 yard dash in Olympic time, running to and from the tent before Will even knew I was gone. Oh, and I can't forget the ice-cold showers they provided. Sure, they were free but I felt like I was back in junior high "polar bearing." I tried not to scream as the water touched my skin but I'll be honest, there wasn't much showering that took place. I'll tell ya, Big Bear was a blast.We went with our fellowship class from church and ended up having a lot of fun, despite the cold nights. As soon as the kids stepped out of the van, this is what Lynnea looked like. On the way up she had thrown up all of her lunch (I guess she's carsick) so when we got there and she looked like this...we didn't even change her outfit. The dirt dried up the vomit (ok, too much information).
Then one of our friends "nicked" his knee with an ax, 2 of our campsite cars ran so low on batteries that we had to actually turn off the automatic sliding doors (moment of reverent silence for that one) and practically jump each other before we headed to the city to shop at the dollar store.

Days of mud,
bad-for-you snacks by the armload,
enough dirt to last a lifetime,
cute hats because, by golly, it was cold (did I mention that??)
car problems,
and ax mishaps (no, not by my hubby),
it was a great camping trip. Thanks Valerie, Jeff, Emily, Josh and Becoming One for an amazing time of friends, great food, and long lasting memories.Oh, and I'm never going to Big Bear again without some sort of triple layered, zero degree sleeping bag. NEVER!!

No comments: