Monday, October 10, 2011

Long Beach Fun Run

This weekend was the weekend Will had been training for - the Long Beach Half Marathon (& Marathon for those brave souls). I'll post about his race next but this post is about Mikayla's run. The day before the event, on Saturday, they had a kid's fun run which Mikayla has wanting to do since I ran my half marathon.

I knew she ran at school but I kept telling her that running a mile is no "walk in the park" at her age. With a confidence that I admire in her, she just knew she could do it...and when she sets her mind to something, she does it. I think the thing that motivated her more than anything was that medal she'd get at the end. So, here she is pre-race.

She ran with our friend's kids and did the entire race in a little over 10 minutes. A 10 minute mile is pretty good!

















Will said she pretty much sprinted across the finish line. I'm so proud of her for trying something new and succeeding with flying colors. Look at her run!

And she has the medal to show for her accomplishments.
Of course, Tyler wants to run it next year...it's all about that medal (and the fact that it was an octopus this year wasn't lost on him either.)

No comments: