I was given this 80's dresser from a dear friend of the family who wanted to give it to a good home. It was real wood, not that fake stuff, and she couldn't imagine it sitting in some Goodwill store waiting for someone to want it bad enough to buy it. So I took it. And I had grand visions of what I wanted it to be. I just wasn't positive I could pull it off. I tried anyway.
In answer to your question before you ask it, no, I won't be doing many of these projects. I love seeing the finished product but the process itself? I'm still picking the sawdust from the sander out of my hair. Not my passion.

So, on to the transformation. I sanded the whole thing. It took a long time. That varnish should be outlawed, that's all I can say. Then I painted it a white I already had in my paint arsenal, sanded the edges and then envisioned how I wanted the front of the drawers to look. I finally decided I wanted to find some old glass pulls and handles, preferably pink.I hopped on ebay and watched bids for a while...until I came across a killer deal. A man was going through an estate and found 8 knobs and 4 pulls (just what I wanted) and he wanted to get rid of them ASAP. They were brand new. Some even had tags! With the tag placing each one at around $7 for each knob and $10 for each pull, I knew I had a deal on my hands when I saw that he was selling all of them for the "buy it now" price of $25 (plus $10 shipping).
So, for $35 dollars total, this is the finished result. I love it and it will go perfectly in my daughter's "fairy-inspired" bedroom. We're still working on the rest of it but I'm excited at how it's going to turn out. Mikayla really wants to help design it (think canopies and flowers) and I know it's going to be a fun process. Stay tuned for more remodeling!
Now, on to the nightstand I found for $12 at Savers. Gotta start all over again...



No comments:
Post a Comment