Sunday, October 4, 2009

Finally...a watermelon!

In our little vegetable garden we've had a watermelon vine...a big watermelon vine. For quite a while it just grew, and grew, and grew, and eventually it took over my garden, stealing space from every other plant in the bed. Then I trimmed it about a month ago. When Mikayla came over to investigate the clippings, she gasped. She said, "uh, mom? I think you cut this one a little too early." There, in her hands, was a small watermelon that still looked like a cucumber. I felt like crying...all this work and I chopped off the fruit!! Frantically, I looked for another small blossom, fruit, anything! I finally found one, in the back of the garden. I nurtured it, watered it, kept the bugs off of it (my pride and joy) and, about a month later, this is what it became......and boy, wasn't it delicious! Tyler could barely hold it and we all had to take pictures of it.
Then we cut it. Even though it had seeds the size of small M&M's, the work of de-seeding was worth it. We have several more on the vine so we're excited to finally have some fruit for our labor, so to speak.

1 comment:

Mama Shoe said...

I am so impressed with your green thumb!! I have not been able to grow any melons, they always fall off at the size no bigger than a baseball. That is one good looking watermelon, you go girl!!