Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My morning

As a mom, sometimes it's hard to feel beautiful. We really don't have time to get ourselves ready in the morning between getting breakfast for the kids, getting lunches packed, and making sure all of our kid's homework is in the folder (because, really, half of the work is ours and we want to get some credit, darnit!).

So, most mornings, I drag myself out of bed (if I haven't gone to the gym, which makes me look even more appealing!...ok, you know I'm joking. A sweaty, red face and hair in a ponytail won't get me any modeling jobs), and I let my skin go "au natural" for a while. That's what I call "natural beauty"..It's good to be low maintenance once in a while. I'm sure my hair is usually adding to that "justgotoutofbed" look as well.

This morning was no different. I had had a busy day the day before (wake up at 6am, take care of/drop off/ pick up kids all day, cook dinner by 5, run off to work until 11, then finally fall into bed at midnight). So, I wasn't suprised that my face showed it, quite evidently to everyone, after this little conversation with my kids.

Mikayla: "Mom, did you put makeup on this morning?" (she's always so sweet with her compliments...I think I love her best today.)
Me: "Aw, you're so sweet, baby! No, mommy didn't put any makeup on..but I... (trying to figure out if I should put myself down and wonder how in the world she could think that, or just go with the compliment)
Tyler: "...were you going to say 'but your eyes are puffy still?'"
Me: (after a moment's pause, wondering if he deserved a time out) "um...are they puffy, Tyler?"
Tyler: "yes"
Obviously, I could offer no reply. I just kind of looked at him, with my puffy eyes, and went on about the business of serving breakfast. I'm feeling all kinds of beautiful today!

Thus begins my Tuesday morning...with puffy eyes and the honesty of my children. I guess that's a good thing to glean from this situation. He wasn't afraid to state the obvious. But, tonight, I'm going to double up on that "anti-puff" eye cream because I'm certainly not going to get more sleep tonight...

No comments: