Thursday, July 21, 2011

Needed some change

It all happened so fast, really. I was in our front bathroom (the first room we ever remodeled when we moved in 10 years ago) and I saw that the border was peeling off in one corner. So I pulled it. Then I had to pull it all. Then, of course, I had to scrub the glue off the wall. So, I thought, I might as well go all out and repaint it. I liked the way it was, all nautical and such, but I'm not so nautical any more. To be honest, it became the "nautical room" because those were the only decorations I had left and I had nowhere to put them. 10 years later, I need the nautical to go swim to a distant shore. (I know, that was cheesy but it's late). Gee, when I look at that picture, I feel like I could have opened up a nautical shop with all that stuff. Good grief.

Moving on, after a trip to both Home Depot and Lowe's (with kids in tow), I chose my paint color. With all of the paint samples I've accumulated, I could almost start my own home decorating firm. The color I ended up choosing was from Lowe's Valspar collection called "Winter In Paris." It even sounds refreshing, doesn't it?

You will probably say I'm crazy for attempting this kind of project on a week that Will was out of town in Chicago, during the summer, with all 3 kids breathing down my neck, in the heat, but that's just how I roll. I mean, honestly, when do I really have time for changing things up? You gotta do what you gotta do when you feel like doing it...and, you're right, you've got to be just a little crazy.

So, after 3 days of priming, priming, priming (yes, I said that a lot...probably because it was 2 whole days of priming...and I HATE priming!!!) So after 3 days of priming, painting, almost electrocuting myself, and then cleaning up after all of the chaos, I have a brand new space. I love it.

Now I just have to decorate it. I won't put much in here. After all, I kind of like the airy feel. Unfortunately, it will now be home to the rainbow-colored toothbrushes my kids fancy and the Red Robin cup they use to swish with after they brush those teeth. *sigh* I guess when I've got an empty nest, I can attain that "House Beautiful"-esque photo with the immaculate and restful bathroom. Until then, I guess a few colorful toothbrushes, a dirty stepstool, and a carefully positioned air freshener will have to be part of that picture.

So I'll have to come back and look at this "after" photo to see what it looks like under all the kid stuff. Hope you like it (without the light. That's coming soon. I just have to have a handy electrician fix the switch that I burned out in that aforementioned "almost electrocution" moment.
Do you like it?

4 comments:

Marlon @MeInTheBalance said...

Nicely done, Riva! We've been talking about painting the interior of our house since we moved into our place almost 4 years ago... still hasn't happened yet. I guess one of these days we'll get to it.

Robin said...

Way to go Riva!!!!! Well done I say!!!! and yes, the beautiful Potterybarn home will not come until the kids are on their own. At least we are all in it together : ) Can't wait to see it, even if it includes the "kid" stuff ; )

Emily said...

So impressed!!!!:)

Riva said...

Marlon, it's one of those things you've got to REALLY want to tackle. Our house was a mess when we moved in so we kind of had to do it but RE-doing it took a lot of motivation. Thanks for the compliments, ladies!