Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Things to be thankful for...

This past month has been a challenge, emotionally, for me. What I've realized is that, despite all of the tears and heartache, I really do have true friends; people who love me for me, who understand who I really am, not who they perceive me to be, and who make me a better person for having known them...basically, they possess these important qualities:

A true friend...
-Accepts you as you are
-believes in you
-calls you only to say "hello"
-doesn't give up on you
-admires all sides of your personality
-forgives your mistakes
-helps you
-encourages you to try it again
-makes a difference in your life
-says nice things about you
-offers his/her support
-understands you
-tells you the truth
-never judges you
-explains things you don't understand
-walks by your side
-calms down your fears
-shouts if necessary, if you don't want to listen
-raises your spirit.



I'll be honest, I've never been one to put up walls, especially when it comes to friends. On the contrary, I've usually been the one trying to break down the walls of others. Unfortunately, these past few weeks have made me get out my own bricks and mortar, closing my heart up just a little.

Friendships can be the most rewarding things on this planet...and the most hurtful. My husband and I were talking the other night about how our closest friends are those we can laugh with - that kind of laugh that makes your stomach hurt. They're also the ones to whom you can tell your most intimate concerns and they listen without judgement. They know when to offer advice but they don't try to fix it, they just listen, really listen, and they tell you that they'll be there for you, always. They encourage, they correct when necessary and, most importantly, they know your character and think the best about you instead of the worst.

So, with everything that my heart has felt these past few weeks, I've also been thankful for those people in my life who love me unconditionally, give me a giant hug, and say, " I love you for who you are - you're pretty special." With that said, here's more things I'm thankful for...just because my heart loves a little sunshine.


my favorite Christmas album playing

a hot, white chocolate peppermint mocha (especially the first sip)

that recipe that makes your entire family happy

the sound of my kids saying, "I love you, mommy - you're my best friend"

a spontaneous coffee date with a neighbor/friend that interrupts your walk home

talking on the phone with my cousin until 2am..about nothing and everything

my climbing rose that covers the garden wall in brilliant colors

a crackling fireplace

a good book that you just can't put down

Christmas lights in the rain

serving someone else

finding the perfect fabrics for a project...and then completing it!

watching my favorite movie with my favorite guy (my hubby, if you were wondering)

wise words from my parents

laughing at an inside joke

my sister

Thank you, Lord, for giving me another day to become a better person, to learn and to grow.

3 comments:

Mama Shoe said...

Girl, are you ok? I want to be there for you, let me be your listening ear. Love you, friend... gracee

Riva said...

Gracee, you're so sweet. I'm doing ok. God has a plan for everything. Thank you for your encouragement and for your friendship- I know relationships that are made to last heal with time and I'm sure, in a little while, I won't be so conscious of every word that comes out of my mouth. It's just therapeutic to put my thoughts "on paper." :)

heidi lynn said...

Boy did I read this and sigh. I have been there so many times... yet most of those times, I can't relate to feeling better about having those dear friends nearby. You guys are all TOO far away!

I, too, want to be a listening ear and friend, if you need. Like Gracee said, I want to be there for you too!

I love you Riva! I hope we can share a hug sooner than later!