Yep, can you believe it? 9!!
I feel like the past 9 years have been a blur (except for the first few weeks; those seemed to drag on forever).
At this point, you'll have to be subject to my mini flashback! It was 2003. I had quit my job on February 14th to get ready to welcome my first baby! The time came...and went. 2 weeks later, I was still waiting...and in that time I watched way too many "Baby Story" shows on television. After scaring myself silly by convincing myself that it would be the most painful thing I had ever experienced (that ended coming true with #2), the labor part actually ended up NOT killing me after all!
9 years later I can, without a shadow of a doubt, tell you that parenting is the hardest thing I've ever done. I can also tell you, without any doubt, that it is starting to become one of the most rewarding. You're probably wondering why I used the word "starting." I'll just say it like it is. Babies give rewards in the area of diapers and smiles (it's a start). Toddlers reward you by enhancing your cleaning skills and developing your patience. I'll admit, toddlers are starting to "pay it forward" but, for the most part, it's hard to see where the "rewarding" part comes in when your kids are little. It's when they start to become bigger, when what you've taught them actually starts to stick and they start to make good decisions and good friends that makes you realize that all those tears and frustrations were worth it.
So, with that, I want to say Happy Birthday to a beautiful, caring, sensitive, kind, funny, playful and loving little girl who's not so little any more and carries a piece of my heart with her wherever she goes.
Happy Birthday, sweet Mikayla! You are God's gift to me and I love you very much!

3 comments:
Parenting for nearly a decade, isn't it so amazing we have survived this long! I agree with the rewarding part. It's nice to be able to spend time together and carry on conversations instead of meeting needs constantly. Good job girl! And happy birthday to your beautiful girl!!
9 yeares old is the time you begin getting a glimpse of who your child will be as an adult. It is a really fun age. Thank you for sharing your heart and life on your blog and encouraging others!! Getting to see life again through a childs eyes is a precious thing. Rolana's mom
Thanks ladies! It is amazing that it's been almost a decade! I think we're actually going to make it! Thanks for the comments- it makes blogging more fun to know people are reading.
Post a Comment